Heater blower not working

BARECREEK
  • 2005 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
The heater blower isnt working, I cant find a fuse box inside the vehicle, and where is the heater blower located
Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009 AT 11:25 AM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Start by checking for power/ground at the blower motor when switch is on, in all different positions. You will need to use a voltmeter for this.
The blower motor is located on the HVAC unit, behind passenger side dash.

Read the guide below on using a volt meter, it will help

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-voltmeter

Attached below are the component locations and the wiring diagrams for you blower motor
Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009 AT 1:07 PM
DAN GRAGERT
  • 2008 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
I changed the resistor module as well as the fan and this did NOT fix anything.
Here is the sequence I went through after reading the on-line forums.
Most folks said it was the resistor module so I bought a new one.
I measured the new resistor module with an ohmmeter before I installed it. It was identical to the original part. I then changed out the fan I also tested both the new and old fan with a current meter and both were the same.
So now I have two new parts installed and the problem persists.
I then disconnected the two prong plug at the fan.
Then I connected the ground side of the fan to the resistor module and connected the positive side of the fan directly to the +12 of the battery.
The fan now works as it should and has all four speeds. This tells me that the resistor module works correctly. The only thing bypassed at this time is the power source which is activated by turning on the ignition. When the ignition is turned on, it should activate a relay which will then power the fan.
I am looking for this relay and or fuse which operates this circuit. I cannot find any reference to where this relay or fuse is located. There is no manual available for this vehicle according to the auto parts store and I can't find an on-line schematic or pictures for this vehicle either. The owners manual is also no help
So the question is. Where is the relay and/or fuse?
Saturday, November 24th, 2018 AT 5:52 PM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH
First you need to determine whether it's power or ground that is missing from the motor and that will determine which direction to go next. The power supply comes from the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module/Central GateWay) on a dark blue wire, which is located near the battery.

It's actually the back of the fuse box. What they have done is incorporate all the relays and power supplies into one, non serviceable unit. There are no accessible parts in that unit.

Here are some guides and diagrams showing you what to do and how to test it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
-1
DAN GRAGERT
The +12 is missing from the fan. (EXCERPT from above)"Then I connected the ground side of the fan to the resistor module and connected the positive side of the fan directly to the +12 of the battery." The fan works properly in this mode and therefore the resistor pack/GROUND is OK.

I know the +12 is missing from the fan and I found out by using the diagrams and guides above there was a bad connection at the blower motor relay due to heat. I fixed it by cleaning and enhancing the connection.

Thanks for you help! I love this site
BILLR139
  • 2005 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
About half the time the front blower will not run on any speed. The back is on and there is cold air.
Have the heater k a/c unit scanned for codes a pro will have to do it any garage with a scanner can
-1
HUDDLE01
  • 2005 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
I have a 2005 Town and Country, the front air blower will not work, the rear works fine. In the front you get no response from any of the settings. Also, I noticed this. Normally when you have the air on and turn the fan off it turns the entire AC off, Now you can turn the front and rear air off (blowers) and the compressor will run like its being told that the blowers are still turned on. Any help would be awesome!
Thanks!
BMRFIXIT
Check fuses
check blower motor and control module
check relay

The front blower motor power module is connected to the vehicle electrical system through a dedicated lead and connector of the front HVAC wire harness. A second connector receptacle receives the wire harness connector from the front blower motor. The front blower motor power module allows the microprocessor-based automatic temperature control (ATC) A/C-heater control to calculate and provide infinitely variable blower motor speeds based upon either manual blower switch input or the ATC programming using a pulse width modulated (PWM) circuit strategy.
The PWM voltage is applied to a comparator circuit which compares the PWM signal voltage to the front blower motor feedback voltage. The resulting output drives the power module circuitry, which provides a linear output voltage to change or maintain the desired blower speed.
The front blower motor power module is diagnosed using a DRBIII scan tool.
The front blower motor power module cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if faulty or damaged, it must be replaced.

RELAY !
The front blower motor relay is an electromechanical switch that uses a low current input from the front control module (FCM) to control the high current output to the blower motor resistor (manual temperature control) or the blower motor power module (automatic temperature control). The movable, common feed relay contact is held against the fixed, normally closed relay contact by spring pressure. When the electromagnetic relay coil is energized, it draws the movable common feed relay contact away from the fixed, normally closed relay contact and, holds it against the fixed, normally open relay contact. This action allows high current to flow to the blower motor.
When the relay coil is de-energized, spring pressure returns the movable relay contact back against the fixed, normally closed contact point. The resistor or diode is connected in parallel with the relay coil, and helps to dissipate voltage spikes and electromagnetic interference that can be generated as the electromagnetic field of the relay coil collapses.
The blower motor relay terminals are connected to the vehicle electrical system through a receptacle in the integrated power module (IPM). The inputs and outputs of the blower motor relay include:
The common feed terminal (30) receives a battery current input from the battery through a B(+) circuit at all times. The coil ground terminal (85) receives a ground input through the front/rear blower motor relay control circuit only when the FCM electronically pulls the control circuit to ground. The coil battery terminal (86) receives a battery current input from the battery through a B(+) circuit at all times. The normally open terminal (87) provides a battery current output to the blower motor resistor (manual temperature control) or blower motor power module (automatic temperature control) through a fuse in the IPM on the fused front blower motor relay output circuit only when the blower motor relay coil is energized. The normally closed terminal (87A) is not connected to any circuit in this application, but provides a battery current output only when the blower motor relay coil is de-energized.
The blower motor relay cannot be repaired and, if faulty or damaged, it must be replaced.
+3
BOBOH
  • 2005 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
Front blower does not work
Hi:
If the blower doesn't work at all, you need to check to see if there is power to the blower motor resister. If there isn't, go to the switch. If there is power to the resister, check for power out of it. If there is power coming out, check all speed levels by changing the switch to see if you get different levels of voltage. If it does, work on all switch settings, replace the motor. If there is is no power out of the resister, or it stays at 12 volts during all switch settings, replace the resister. Most times, ther resister is the problem and it's much cheaper and easier to replace.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

+1
HUNTERSHERO03
  • 2005 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
My front blower would not do anything when I turned it on today. Then it would come on for a little while, then nothing again. When I got home there was a faint smell of burning rubber. I don't know if that was related or not bc my brakes started to squeak also. I know they need to be replaced soon. I just don't know why the front blower won't work but the rear blower works fine. Can you think of what might be the problem
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Check fuse and the front blower motor relay
Saturday, November 24th, 2018 AT 5:53 PM (Merged)
VMOLMEN
  • 2000 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
Blower motor will not run. Replace the resistor, heater switch test/replaced.
Check for voltage on the two fan motor wires. If you find two different voltages, suspect the motor.

If you have computer controls for the heating system, there will be a module that runs the fan motor. That uses "pulse-width modulation" so you won't be able to measure voltages. Instead, unplug the motor and run 12 volts to it directly to see if it runs. If it does not run, replace the motor.
+1
VMOLMEN
Thanks for the information.
KEN
Hey VMOLMEN,

I have found these wiring diagrams for you to help with the testing. Check the blower fan first then use these guides to continue testing.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/blower-fan-motor-works-on-high-speed-only

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

Here are some diagrams to help.

Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken
JIMLEO
  • 2004 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
Heater problem
2004 Chrysler Town and Country 6 cyl Automatic 107651 miles

How can I get at the front heater switch and blower motor to test each? I have checked the relay and it works.
BLUELIGHTNIN6
CONTROL PANEL REMOVAL

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Pull the cup holder out, then remove the small plastic trim piece between the cup holder and the HVAC control panel/radio bezel.
Loosen the 2 lower and 2 upper mounting screws, then remove the HVAC control panel/radio bezel.
Disengage the wiring connectors from behind the HVAC control panel switches.

BLOWER MOTOR REMOVAL

Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable, then wait 2 minutes before proceeding with the removal. This will effectively disable the air bag system preventing possible personal injury.
Remove the glove box from the instrument panel.
Remove the A/C-heater blower motor cover.
Disconnect the blower motor wiring connector.
Remove the blower motor wiring grommet and feed the wiring through the blower motor housing.
Remove the blower motor mounting screws.
Allow the blower motor assembly to drop downward to clear the instrument panel and remove from vehicle.
VEGASGIRL1
  • 2004 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
My front blower does not work on my van, I have replaced all fuses and relays, but still the front portion of my van does not work, but the back works fine. Please tell me what I need to do.
RZ357
Did you check the resistor block on the firewall. It should be located on the firewall to the left of the right front strut housing, it should have a 3 or 4 prong connector. It is held in the firewall with 2 5/16th bolts that screw into the firewall. It is available at any autoparts store. Under $10.00
+1