2003 Chrysler Town and Country Engine Misfiring

YEROATL
  • 2003 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY

2003 Chrysler Town and Country 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 118000 miles

I recently took minivan to dealership to check into why it was misfiring. They ran diagnostic which indicated issues with cylinder 1 & 6, however after running compression test the feedback was cylinders are fine. After further checking they said there was a short in a fuse which caused the sequencing to be off, in essence when cylinder 1 was firing, gas was being sent into cylinder 6 as well and when cylinder 6 was to fire it would have double the amount of fuel. The feedback was they would have to search for the short but no guarantees or possibly replace wiring harness. Just asking to see if this sounds like a viable diagnosis, my concern is man hours and cost associated since this is 2003 with 118k.

Monday, June 28th, 2010 AT 5:37 PM

Yes, that is very possible. Infact, chances are they are right. However, what I would recommend is this. If they are confident in their diagnosis, don't waste the money trying to find the short. Chances are they will have a ton of time tied up looking for it and never find it. Just have them replace the wiring harness and save the massive amount of labor they will charge for checking. If you want to give them say 1 hour looking, okay. If they don't find it within that time, chances are they won't find it.

Friday, July 16th, 2010 AT 10:46 PM
PACBAC66@COMCAST.NET
  • 2005 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY

Replace cylinder five spark plug and fuel injector and then replace computer. Got it fixed for a week and then it said it was misfiring and cylinder five again and blew the computer.

Wednesday, November 1st, 2017 AT 6:52 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS

A PCM failure is not common, to do this you often need a dead short, damaged loom, water contamination or a reversed polarity concern (jump starting by hooking a starter battery backwards). A misfire will not damage a PCM. You need to find out why the PCM failed first. Diagnosing this can be very difficult as you cannot just keep replacing units while you try looking for the problem. This should be done by a very qualified tech with top end testing equipment. The cost may seem high if you get a quote, but it will be far cheaper than burning two or three PCM's.