1999 Chrysler Town and Country hot engine

RICHVICTIM13
  • 1999 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
  • AWD
Temp gauge went to hot and light came on, didnt overheat, service engine soon light came on, the coolant level was down a little so I filled up, there was no leaking, it takes about 20 mins to get hot, I changed the thermostat the old one was stuck shut, now there seems to be a leak where the lower rad hose connects to the water pump, and the oil was down about 3 quarts, and there is a squealing sound at start it slowly lessens but changes with acceleration.
Tuesday, June 30th, 2009 AT 2:52 PM

Is the squeal coming from the belt? It could be getting coolant on it. As far as the leak, check under the water pump for the weep hole where coolant can leak. Check that to see if the pump is leaking. It is easier to check through the inner fender.

Let me know what you find.

Friday, July 3rd, 2009 AT 4:49 PM
RICHVICTIM13
Thank you for your reply.I have already found the problem.I found the water pump was leaking which was spraying onto the belts(squealing sound), so I changed the pump which I did through the wheel well, then I found the fan wasnt coming on but that was just a 40 amp fuse which also made the check engine soon light go off. Working fine now. Thanks !
Monday, July 6th, 2009 AT 10:13 AM
I had a feeling that was the problem. I'm glad you got it taken care of.

Let us know if you have questions in the future.

Monday, July 6th, 2009 AT 4:01 PM
RICHVICTIM13
I guess I spoke to soon. The coolant fan isnt coming on now and I wonder if it is the relay or temp sensor. How do I check to find out which it is?
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 10:11 AM
JTERRYSTL
The radiator fan relay is located on the side of the engine compartment on the driver's side near the bottom. You can see it from under the van. However, the easiest way to access it is to take the air filter assembly out and get to it from the top.
Wednesday, July 29th, 2009 AT 10:43 PM