1999 Chrysler Town and Country battery light on

PASTORVAUGHN
  • 1999 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
Hello sirs. My battery light is on in my van. The check engine light is not on. I had the alternator checked and that is good, I installed a new battery and thats good. When I start it up the car starts up good, but sometimes I hear some fluttering from the Auto shutdown relay. I have a semi-loud squeeling from below in the engine, but somewhere between the alternator and the battery, something isnt right. When the car was started, I took off the negative lead on the battery and the car went off! Please help!
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 11:22 AM

Inspect and test fuse no.2 10amp and fuse no.17 20amp and the ASD relay-could be the computer controlled of the alternator field generation driver that's built within-See Charge system EWD.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_c1_25.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_c2_23.jpg

+1
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 11:40 AM
AAAGGGGHHH! Don't pull the battery cable off!

That trick worked years ago with carbureted cars, but if the charging system is working, the computers on your van can be destroyed. It's possible for system voltage to go as high as 18 volts at idle, and 35 volts if you raise engine speed, without the battery in the circuit to help regulate system voltage.

Do you have a digital voltmeter? I assume the battery light is still on. Is that correct?

+1
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 11:42 AM
PASTORVAUGHN
Yes the battery light is still on. I do have a volt meter. I thought tha the pulling off of the battery cable to see if the car is still running worked. Sorry
+1
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 11:50 AM
Read the battery's open voltage before you start the vehicle should read 12.4 or better, start vehicle read again should be 13.5-15.5volts with a load-if its reading battery open voltage-the alternator is not doing its job or wiring and computer problem-review the EWD
+1
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 11:55 AM
PASTORVAUGHN
I tested the battery when the car was off and the voltage was 12.5. I tested it also when the car was on and the voltage was the same 12.5 volts. Also do you think that the squeeling from one of the pulleys can slow the belt down as to not provide power to the battery from the alternator? I have a problem also with the belt slipping off on the least little moisture that hits it.
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 12:02 PM
Investigate and retension the belt could be loose/slipping if okay get the alternator retested-okay again check what I've suggested earlier
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 12:18 PM
PASTORVAUGHN
Will do, get back to you after.
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 AT 12:21 PM
2CARPROS LINSEY
Hi, Thank you for using 2CarPros. Com. We appreciate your donation and look forward to helping you in the future.
Friday, March 5th, 2010 AT 3:28 PM
PASTORVAUGHN
Hello since I last talked to you I replaced the tensioner and that fixed the belt coming off problem. I bought a tensioner from the chrysler dealer and it was the correct part. But my battery light is still on and my hanes book told me to take it to the dealer for it is nothing I could do for this problem. If you can help me please do.
Saturday, March 6th, 2010 AT 7:48 PM
But my battery light is still on and my hanes book told me to take it to the dealer for it is nothing I could do for this problem.

Battery light keeps coming On-could mean a problem with the computer controlled of the alternator's field generation driver circuit
Saturday, March 6th, 2010 AT 10:34 PM