1998 Chrysler Town and Country RADIATOR FAN

JOHN SIEVE
  • 1998 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
The engine overheats when running in slow stop and go traffic. The two radiator fans do not come on. The air conditioner will not cool when vehicle is not moving. The fans do not come on when the air conditioner is turned on. The engine cools normally at highway speed.

I have checked the fuses under the hood. I have also tried a new relay in the position marked BLOWER. Is there any other things I can do to get this problem relolved.
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 1:16 PM

Hi:
If you replaced the relay, there are two things left to check. First, are you getting power to the fan motors when it heats up? If not, you need to check the temp sensor.

Let me know what you find.

-1
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 7:21 PM
JOHN SIEVE
In other posts on this web site, they say that the fans should always come on when the air conditioner is on. If they do not come on with the air conditioner, does that eliminate the possibiliy of a defective coolant sensor? I have replaced the cooling fan relay, and the fans do not come on with the air conditioner. They do not come on with the high coolant temperature either. Is it possible that both fan motors are bad?
Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 3:52 PM
Good question. Yes the fan will come on with the AC. Before you replace anything, check to make sure if you are getting power to the fan motors. Turn the AC on and check. If you have a 2 fan system, and I think you do, only one will get power. Check it with a volt meter if you have one to make sure, if there is power, you are getting 12 volts. If there is power to the fan motor, the motor will most likely be bad. You could also unplug the motor and run 12 volts to it from the battery to see if it turns on.

Let me know what you find.

Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 9:15 PM
JOHN SIEVE
I was trying to figure out how to get power from the battery to the fans to check for function. I disconnected the left fan harness, and found that both poles on the fan motor are male fittings pointed down and nearly inaccsessable. I took the engine air filter cartridge off to get more room to work. As long as I had the air cleaner off I thought I might as well put the old radiator fan relay back, as maybe I could return it and get my money back. While I was trying to mount the old relay back on the car frame, the right radiator fan came on. The only way I could get it to stop was to unplug the old relay. When I plugged in the new relay, the fan did not come on. I replaced the wire on the left fan, and the air filter system, and started the engine. I turned on the air conditioner, and the fans do not come on. What do you think.
Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 3:10 PM
Wow, now I don't know where to go. Is there another relay in the box with the same part number that you can switch with the fan relay. I wonder if you have a bad relay.
Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 4:23 PM
JOHN SIEVE
I suppose I could go back to NAPA and ask if they could let me try another relay. I kind of doubt that they will, as they are $50.00 and they have a non return policy on electrical parts that have been installed. They sell two grades. One is $50.00, an the other is $70.00. Should I try the more expensive one?
Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 5:35 PM
JOHN SIEVE
I replaced the coolant temperature sensor, and the fans now work. The fans came on when I turned on the air conditioner, and raced the engine. They shut down when I shut off the air. Thanks for all the help.
Friday, March 13th, 2009 AT 8:02 PM
PHIFIFOFUM
I am having the same problem with my 98 t&c. So far, I replaced the radiator cap, fan relay, and temp sensor (next to thermostat housing). I also checked the 40amp fuse in the fuse box and connected the fans to the battery to make sure that they work. The fans still won't come on. What else could be wrong?
Thanks.
Friday, August 28th, 2009 AT 8:49 AM
JOHN SIEVE
Sorry for the late reply. I had trouble logging onto the web site that allows for this reply.

The problem you discribed is exactly as I experienced. I have no other solutions except to try another temp sensor, or relay. Maybe it could also be a continuity problem for the conductor between the temp sensor to the relay. Good Luck.
Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 5:38 PM