2004 Chrysler Sebring battery warning lights flickering eve

BABY_BLUE1981
  • 2004 CHRYSLER SEBRING
2004 Chrysler Sebring V6 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 82000 miles

i have a 2004 chryler sebring convertible. Had a 500 watt amp (alpine) deck, and sub. Ever since I have my headlights and dash lights flickering to the bass. Battery warning light has come on a few times. I have has everything looked over in my car by 7 different shops. There is nothing wrong with my car. Or the charging system. It a 120 amp alternator. With a load test its peeking 90 amps. Battery stay well over 12 volts. No one can tell me why its doing this. I have had a power cap put on it still had the problems. So took the cap out. Had the amp change. Grounds to the amp and the car all checked. 8 guage power wire straight from the barrery to the amp. Also not sure if this means anything but my engine light came on a week after having this sterio installed it was saying the o2 sencer. Had it tested but nothing wrong with it. Engine light went away on its own came back a few on a few times. Happends when the sterio it playing loud bass. Please help me. Melinda
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 AT 8:41 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
The audio system is drawing too much power for your vehicle's charging system to handle. If you wish to keep the system without damaging your vehicle's charging system I suggest having a separate battery installed soley for the audio system to run on. Otherwise you will have to turn down the bass. Engine code for oxygen sensor can come on for faulty wiring to oxygen sensors or for a faulty catalytic converter. Symptoms of either of these would be poor fuel mileage.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 3:34 AM
BABY_BLUE1981
I just found out today that theres to high of voltage from the battery. It gave a code for that for the first time. Could it be the computer in the car. The alternator is only working at 75%.
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 11:13 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
The battery is only used to start the vehicle, the alternator is what is used to run the vehicle. Suspect faulty voltage regulator. The regulator is built into the alternator.
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 11:29 AM
BABY_BLUE1981
I had thought the same thing voltage regulator or the pcm or the sensor under the battery. That had alll been ruled out. Im at a loss with this car.
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 12:01 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Check all ground and power wires for the charging system to ensure they are clean and tightened properly. Is battery new? Check water level of battery.
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 12:34 PM
BABY_BLUE1981
Its a maintenance free battery. And all grounds had already been checked a couple weeks ago. And problems stayed after that. And battery terminals tightend.
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 12:40 PM
BABY_BLUE1981
And battery is testing as new. And I had a bigger battery tested on it. And broblem was still there.
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 12:44 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
What was the voltage at when you say it was high? Was it greater than 19 volts? If so then the alternator is at fault. Have you replaced the alt. Or just tested it?
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 12:56 PM
BABY_BLUE1981
Last night while driving with the stareo on. The battery light came on. After about 30 mins. Turned car off started it again and the warning light was gone. It left a code. The guy just told me it it said voltage to high. But last week while under load tested battery and 14.5 volts about. Alternator was giving out 90 amp peeking. But staying mostly around 80- 85 amps. Problem has been here for a month. The code only showed up today. Whatever is doing it is cousing these probems. When the car is off but sterio playing with bass the lights dont flicker. At least not nearly as bad. I have another apointment with a sterio place tommorrow. Do u think it could be something to do with the way the sony xplod deck was huked up. Could it cause my car to do all this. Thanx so much for helping me. Melinda
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 1:49 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
It is possible. Have you tried disconnecting the power wire of the system? If the lights are flickering than there can't be too much voltage rather not enough. There is something screwy with the audio set up. Either the amp is not adjusted properly or perhaps the speakers or aftermarket radio are not hooked up properly.
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 2:32 PM
BABY_BLUE1981
I have taken it back 5 or 6 times where I bought and had the stereo huked up. They regrounded the amp. Changed the amp. Changed the setting on the amp. I had sugested to them maybe its something to do with the after market deck. They said no. That the fuse would blow. When the stereo is not on, the car shows no problems. Its when the bass hits. The speakers in the car I have not changed. I am leaning towards something with the deck itself or with the huke up of it. Thats why I have made another apointment with a new audio place. This is a very annoying problem. Oh and one more this im not sure if this mean anything. When the car is running without stareo it takes 30 amps. When stereo on it takes peeking 90 amp. The amp fuse is only 25. Why is it not blowing with the extra 50 amps. I think the deck might be 10 or something.
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 3:01 PM
BABY_BLUE1981
Or maybe the problem was here all along just didnt notice it. Maybe the stereo bring the problem out to where I notice it now. I really dont know.
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 3:16 PM