1998 Chrysler Sebring Gage Cluster Lights

PHOTOCAL
  • 1998 CHRYSLER SEBRING
Hi,
The gage cluster lights have gone out, yet the (PRND12) light will come on and dim up and down through the light switch. I pulled the cluster and tested all bulbs for continuity and they are all fine. Several shop said it in the headlight switch but that doesn't make sense to me. Please help
Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 7:43 PM

ZACKMAN
I am going to assume that you have Sebring Coupe. Check fuse #4, in the fuse box, left side of engine compartment. If it is the convertible, you will lose all interior lighting.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_98sebringdash_1.jpg

Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 9:55 PM
PHOTOCAL
Hi,
It is a convertible. I went through all the fuses on the panel on the left side of the dash. (Left door jam). I didn't check the fuses under the hood. Dumb me. So where do the gages get there light from? I pulled each bulb out of the cluster and look through each hole to see what it supported but couldn't find the place where the gages were lit from. I also bent up the prongs on the back of each bulb to get a better bite in the trace on the back.
Thursday, January 22nd, 2009 AT 12:24 AM
ZACKMAN
After reading the wiring diagrams, I tend to agree with your technician. But before I say he was right, I need to you to check all these fuses, and also make sure that your side markers and taillights turn on when you turn on the markers (not the headlight). If the markers work, then your headlight switch is OK, it must be one of these fuses..
Under the hood, fuses # 4, 6, 8, 9, and 12.
Under the dash, fuses # 5, 7, 11, and 15.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_98jxiexterior_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_98jxiinterior_1.jpg

Friday, January 23rd, 2009 AT 12:01 AM
PHOTOCAL
Well,
Your going to love this.
I checked all the fuses you listed with a meter for continuity. They were all good. Then turned on the the key and then turned on the marker lights ( tail lights) from the switch and they work.

If I only knew where the gages get there light source from I could trace it back to see where the interruption was coming from. Totally baffling.

The last resort is to replace the headlight switch then the instrument cluster.

Calvin
Friday, January 23rd, 2009 AT 3:04 PM
ZACKMAN
I don't have access to the online wiring diagrams. So, I had to do it the old fashion way. I went through the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual, and I found what you are looking for.

The power comes from the junction box left side of dash, fuse #7 15 amps through a black/red wire to the headlamp switch. From the switch, it turns to red wire (dimmer signal) into the body control module. From the control module it becomes orange/yellow wire to the instrument cluster lights and black/orange to ground.

Does this help your diagnosis?
Friday, January 23rd, 2009 AT 11:24 PM