WILL NOT START

1997 Chrysler Sebring

bmeinhardt

April, 11, 2009 AT 11:19 AM

Computer problem
1997 Chrysler Sebring 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

I have a Chrysler Sebring that has set for 2 years. It was running when we parked it. We replaced the battery and it cranks ok. We put some fresh gas in it and the gas hand would not register. I cracked the air filter box and sprayed starting fluid in while cranking. It started and ran while doing this however, when I stoped spraying starting fluid the engine quits. I banged on the gas tank with a hammer and the fule hand registers now but it still will not start. Could the computer have the fuel pump shut down and if so how do you re-set it?

Jasonray

April, 11, 2009 AT 12:49 PM

It sounds like the fuel pump has 'froze up'. Hitting the tank should free it up, though. But, then again, it may not. Can you hear the pump running when you turn the key on? It should run for about 3 or 4 seconds if you don't spin it over. When the PCM detects a crank signal, the pump will turn on. If you do hear it, check fuel pressure at the injector rail. It's definately a fuel problem. You're on the right track.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test