A REAL PUZZLE, KNOCKING SOUNDS

Chrysler PT Cruiser

chaddwick

July, 19, 2006 AT 7:52 PM

I have an 01 PT Cruiser, chrysler, 58,000 miles. That has recently starting making an irregular knocking sound. For days I will hear nothing and then at times when I am stuck in traffic for a while I will start hearing and feeling a knocking sounds. I can feel it right under my feet and it does not knock faster or slower with excelleration. It seems to be without pattern. It does not knock when I am turning the wheel or anything - just in a straight line after being in slow or stop-and-go traffice for a while.

When I speed up it slows down or stops completely. But then I may not hear it again for days.
AT first it was so irregular that I thought I was dragging something - also because I can feel it under my feet when it knocks. But I am not dragging anything.

chadd.

syncrait

August, 8, 2006 AT 12:38 PM

Do you notice it more when your braking or does it not matter. Or does it just do it most while changing speeds wether it be speeding up or slowing down. Good luck : )

chaddwick

August, 8, 2006 AT 2:20 PM

Well to answer your questions it usually begins on slow acceleration. After I have already been driving a while. I have gone weeks without hearing it at all - until yesturday when I heard it again - but not as bad as the last 2-3 times.
I have noticed something else that may be important. I have realized that the knocking is only an issue when I am or have just used the Air Conditioner. I know nothing about cars - so I don't know if this is connected or a coincidence. But maybe that is why I only get it once in a while.

What do you think?

bubba_koski

September, 28, 2006 AT 10:07 PM

Check your knok sensor, harmonic balancer and timing chain/belt

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Civic
 Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevy Silverado
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet