2008 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER VIBRATION/NOISE AT 30-40 MPH

• SteveThroop
  • 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Noises problem
2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 42000 miles

When car is running between 30 and 40 mph, there is what sounds like engine braking noise and vibration can be felt through the gas pedal. What could be causing this?

Friday, May 14th, 2010 AT 1:21 PM

• Jack42

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. What is an engin braking noise? Is it a deep rumble or a scraping sounds? Does it only do it in a particular gear? If you downshift and manually hold a low gear in higher rpms will it still make the noise at that speed?

Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 8:24 AM
  • SteveThroop

The vibration seems to be just related to speed. I have since put the car in neutral while driving at 30-40 mph, and the vibration and noise doesn't change at all. The noise is more of a low to midrange rumble.

Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 11:24 AM
  • Jack42

Have you tried rotating the tires front to back to see if the vibration changes. Does the steering wheel move back and forth when it is vibrating?

Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 3:42 PM
  • SteveThroop

I haven't tried rotating the tires. There isn't any vibration or movement in the steering wheel, just feel it in the gas pedal.

Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 3:52 PM
  • Jack42

If it is tire related the noise/vibration will change.A front end vibration wont always make the wheel shake, was just looking to narrow it down. Have you tried manually holding a gear to see if it is related to the trans?

Tuesday, May 25th, 2010 AT 7:51 AM
  • SteveThroop

The car's an automatic, so I can't hold a gear, but when I shift into neutral when going between 30 and 40 mph the low to midrange rumble and the vibration through the gas pedal don't change.

Tuesday, May 25th, 2010 AT 11:28 AM
  • Jack42

Start by rotating tires to see if it changes anything, also inspect the tires to see if the tread is seperating (bulges in tread), this can cause what you describe. If you put the trans selector in 2 instead of D or OD it will stay in 2nd gear. While rotating tires, check the front hub bearings as well.

Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 8:00 AM