2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Check Engine LIght & Misfiring

JBJQEP
  • 2004 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
My '04 Cruiser has been cruising right along since I purchased it in July '07. I got in one day and when I started it the engine began bucking and rolling. After awhile the "Check Engine Light" came on and would not reset. I took it in for service and I was informed the "code" stated cylinder #4 misfire. I was talked into a "major" tune up since I was above 30,000 miles. Won't tell you the cost. Anyway after plugs, wires, throttle plate and air intake cleaning, etc. I received my car and it worked fine - for 40 miles. While cruising at about 60 mph the "Check Engine Light" popped on and approximately 1 minute later the engine gbegan running rough. I could accelerate slowly and get to about 45 mph. Back to the shop where I was told the battery was on its last leg and it needed a new battery. After another $125.00 I got the car back. This time I was able to travel about 150 miles when - while cruising at about 45 mph the "Check Engine Light" popped on and after about a minute it began running rough. I could accelerate slowly to about 45 mph to get it home. Two days later I got in and started the car and the light reset and the car ran fine for 2 1/2 days (about 150 miles). This time I was traveling about 60 mph when the "Check Engine LIght" popped on and after about a minute it began running rough. I could run with an occasional bout of missing. Got to work and left early to stay out of traffic and get it home. While running on the interstate it would start "missing" at high speed and I would have to coast for a few seconds then continue. Eventually I had to get off the interstate and use the back roads because of the inconsistent acceleration. Finally got it home and that is where I am now. I am getting it ready to take it back to the shop but I am afraid of what I'm goinf to hear next as the problem. I found a couple of forums that talked about this problem. The only "fixes" major tune-up (done), new plugs/cables (done) replace PCM. This last one was mentioned as a potential but one the company won't suggest because they have to replace it under warranty but it makes sense. The only other thing I noticed was the alternator output sometimes is low (using a lighter plug-in meter). Something is causing the Check Engine LIght to go on before the ignition problems begin in earnest. I guess that's about it - any insight/help/assistance is deeply appreciated. I would like to better prepared when I go back to the dealer.

Thank You!
Wednesday, December 31st, 2008 AT 8:12 PM

Hi:
It could be many things, but a tune up at 30K wouldn't have been one of them. Rather than going to the dealer, take the car to anationally recognized parts store and have the scan the computer. They will do it for free, and hopefully identify the problem. If the light is coming on, there is a trouble code being set.

Let me know what you find.

Tuesday, January 6th, 2009 AT 3:35 PM

Related Check Engine Light Content