2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Sluggesh after 40 MPH

FRISCOKID
  • 2002 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
After my car reaches 40 mph it becomes really sluggesh and it will not accelerate any faster. What could this be? I did do a little work with the battery and I changed out the spark plugs. Could I have puled a hose loose in the process? I just don't know!

Justin
Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 3:27 PM

ZACKMAN
Do you mean that you can step on the gas, the rpm goes to almost redline, but yet the vehicle only goes 40 mph?
Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 11:57 PM
FRISCOKID
I get nothing! It seems to run just fine but once I hit 40 mph it's really suggesh. It will not go any faster either. I'm not sure if my RPM's go up because it is so sluggesh it jerks the whole car. My Mom metioned her old car doing the same thing and said that it was her Cat- converter.
Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 1:31 AM
ZACKMAN
While I understand your frustration with your vehicle trouble, our diagnosis will be as good as the information that you supply us with. Please look at your gauges the next time you drive. Pay close attention to the red gauge. That is your tachometer to measure your rpm. Answer the question from the last post.

Also, I need you to check for any other lights that may stay on while the vehicle is moving. Lastly, I need you to do this. Insert your key to the ignition. Turn the key to ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within 5 seconds. That will signal the PCM to diagnostic mode. Look at your odometer (blue). If there are any codes in the PCM, it will show the codes there. Please record the codes and post them in your reply.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_02ptcruisertach_1.jpg

Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 11:17 PM