1996 CHRYSLER LHS TEMP GAGE SPIKING TO HOT HEATER ERRATIC

• Cjgirl1979
  • 1996 CHRYSLER LHS

Engine Cooling problem
1996 Chrysler LHS V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic

For a couple of months the car would start to overheat anytime that I had been idleing for a while. I would just turn the heater on and then it would go back down to normal. Tonight, the heater did not fix this problem and was blowing cold air out. I checked the antifreeze and when I removed the cap the coolent was at the very top. I haven't done the required maintence and the car has 120, 000 miles on it. I am also having some electrical problems, my automatic headlights don't work anymore and at least a couple of times a week my battery is completely dead in the morning. I am currently unemployed which is why I haven't had the money for repairs. Any ideas?

Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009 AT 8:28 PM

• Rasmataz

Check or replace the thermostat and go from there. And have the battery and alternator checked out-

Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009 AT 8:30 PM
  • Cjgirl1979

I have had the battery as well as the alternator checked. They are both fine. I'm certain that the car "thinks" that the headlights are on occasionaly which is why the battery drains. I took it in and told the mechanics that I new it was a wiring problem and they didn't believe me until the third time I brought it in. At that point they told me that with a problem like that they could not give me an estimate. Because of bad experiences I couldn't just leave my car there and let them charge me whatever they decided to charge me.

The thermostat was changed/replaced the first year I got the car. Could a wiring problem short it out? Plus the engine didn't seem hot to the touch or should I say overly hot when I checked it?

Wednesday, December 2nd, 2009 AT 8:43 PM

Other Instrument Cluster Gauge Engine Temperature Not Working Questions