1991 Chrysler Le Baron fuel computer

BLAZE1253
  • 1991 CHRYSLER LE BARON
Computer problem
1991 Chrysler Le Baron 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

hi I have a chrysler le baron 1991 and the problem I have I start my car and it runs for about 5 secs then dies on me after I washed my car before it happened but no water got into the engine at alll luckly it died on me in my drive way but I replaced the fuel filter thinking that was the problem it wasn't. My father and I checked if it wasn't getting any fuel and its got fuel and the spark plugs work and its getting plenty of air so our only solution is its the fuel sesnor is shot or damanged which we have no idea where its located and I don't know if it is even the sensor thats damaged
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 6:43 PM

Need some punctuation to make sense.

The only thing we know for sure is you replaced the fuel filter. Other than the diesel trucks, you will never solve a running problem on a Chrysler product by replacing the filter. They pass the largest volume of fuel during coasting. Logic would dictate the filter can't be plugged if the engine runs at all, and washing the car doesn't lead to a plugged filter.

No idea what sensor you're referring to. If you have spark, the Automatic Shutdown (ASD) relay is turning on. That is proof the optical pickup assembly in the distributor is working. The ASD relay also sends power to the injectors, and the fuel pump or pump relay.

Since you can't see the fuel spray from the injectors in the V-6 engines, the next step would involve teeing in a test port in the fuel supply hose to measure the pressure. You didn't list the mileage, but if it's high, and if fuel pressure is acceptable, I'd suggest checking the timing belt next.

If it runs for a few seconds every time you start the engine, that leaves out the timing belt too. That is the typical symptom of the anti-theft system is activated. Not sure if that was an option in '87.

Sunday, January 17th, 2010 AT 7:12 AM