SERPENTINE BELT

1993 Chrysler Imperial

Quagmire86

October, 13, 2009 AT 7:30 AM

1993 Chrysler Imperial 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 155000 miles

I have an issue with my serpentine belt that only happens when the roads are wet. The serpentine belt will come off the pulleys. I've checked the alignment (by eye) and it all seems kosher. I even put a new tensioner and belt on (hours of fun). There is no issue when the roads are dry, but as soon as it is wet, it will religiously throw the belt off. I was told that it is a frequent problem with these cars. Something about the splash guard on the lower right front hitting the belt run. But I can't see the problem there since every time the belt comes off, the only way to get the thing on again is to remove the wheel & spash guard to gain access to it. There is only one way for the guard to affix to the frame. I am thinking about replacing the " Idler" pulley but I hate to throw money at a problem and not know if that is the issue.

Docfixit

October, 13, 2009 AT 3:04 PM

3.8L ? is belt routed as in diagram?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_182.jpg

Quagmire86

October, 17, 2009 AT 1:04 AM

Yep, That is how I repeatedly have been routing it. It is solid when dry, but when the roads are wet, the belt is guaranteed to fall off. I can't tell you which pulley the belt is slipping off from. When I put the belt on and run the engine, I do not see any " Wobble" from any of the pulleys. There is no squeeling or sign of binding when it is running (while it is dry). All the pulley mounts are tightly affixed to their brackets.

Docfixit

October, 17, 2009 AT 9:57 AM

Maybe worn pully on water pump assume it's real shinny and slick. You said water shield in place so that's out. Try this engine running spray water at crank see what happens.

Quagmire86

October, 17, 2009 AT 9:26 PM

That's a good idea. I will give that a shot. The water pump pulley doesn't look too shiny but the idler pulley is very shiny. Thanks for your help.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet