ROUGH IDLE STALLS AT STOP SIGNS.

NTLGNCE
  • CHRYSLER 300
1991 dodge dokota, white 2.5 automatic
It was reciently timed, and was not that far off. Its got a very choppy, rough idle under 1200rpms, The whole car begins to chug. And stalls about 500rpm or under 900 if I slow to a stop. The car is very hard to start when its cold, after its been running it actually will start without cables ----> when its cold I hold the key forward, for over 30 seconds mostly and It whines for about 3-6 seconds and sparks putt putt, whines 3-6 seconds sparks two times putt, putt, and will repete the cycle whines for 5 seconds, putt putt. It will keep doing this untill the battery goes dead, it seems to get faster and closer to running by holding the gas almost to the floor like it might just start. But will not. And It has a great battery I get About 5 or 6 of the 30 second cycles every morning, untill I wear it down mostly, but never fullly. If I hook a set of jumpers to it, It will start after one or two of the 30 second cycles, Sometimes it will start right away depending on how long I worked it before I decided to jump it. (When its warm It starts great) I still have to hold the gas pedel down to just above the shutoff. The car will idle both when warm and cold if I am in park, and carefully to very slowly let off the gas. (Its easier when the car is warm)
Thats the one problem.
The more annoying thing is that it stalls when I stop or let the rpms drop under 1000. In Park if I rev the engine and its smooth sounding, and when its in gear it pudders or knocks the exahust putt putt, when I drive it the rpms are constantly different one day it seems like I maintain 55mph, (does not seem accurate) at 2600 rpms the next day could be at 2000 (hiway miles same road same driveing conditions)

May be related?
Shifting, sometimes it shifts at 2,500 sometimes it wont shift untill 3000+ rpms. As far as the acceleration/power, First and second gear are ok, but third sucks, forth is ok untill I hit a hill.

Something I learned through my research,

Trouble shooting, Diagnostics,

The numbers codes from the check engine light are,

12 Battery or computer recently disconnected. (Possabley from the jump?)

22* Coolant sensor signal out of range - May have been disconnected to set timing
I unpluged it to set the timeing.

25 -- Automatic Idle Speed (AIS) motor driver circuit shorted or target idle not reached, vacuum leak found
( I cant locate this on my engine? ) I found out what it does, and where it is on other cars. But not the daytona? Someone said it might be inside the intake? I want to know where it is and how hard it is to replace Any special notes about gaskits and such?

41* Alternator field control circuit open or shorted.
I do have a belt that is squeeky, ( that belt spray took care of it for now). The lights dont dim when I drive at night long distances, There dont seem to be any other issues with the electrical.

Oh one last thing the heater, blows hot air, when I just turn it on ( with the car warm) but after a bit when the blower has been blowing on it, it blows cold air, ( I checked the antifreeze, and its definately green, would too strong a mixture cause this)

Whew. Thats about all I can say about that.
Thursday, January 26th, 2006 AT 3:02 PM

JACK42
Check the head gaskets
Friday, January 27th, 2006 AT 5:46 PM