2005 Chevy Venture over heating

EASYOFF
  • 2005 CHEVROLET VENTURE
Engine Cooling problem
2005 Chevy Venture 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

hi, I have a 05, chev venture, I noticed that my heat gauge is going over the half way mark and it did not do that before. The fans are not turning on. But when I turn the ac on the fans turn. (So the fan motors work), I checked the fluid levels and are top off, I opened the two bleeders and no air in system. The fuses are good but I dont know how to check the relays to see the are working also dont know witch one to check, I have 3 that says its for the cooling system.
Saturday, May 22nd, 2010 AT 9:19 AM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
If fan comes on with A/C then relays are working. Most likely a faulty engine coolant temp. (ECT) sensor it causing fans not to come on other than with A/C.
+2
Saturday, May 22nd, 2010 AT 1:15 PM
EASYOFF
Thx for the fast reply, I will try that and post results.
Saturday, May 22nd, 2010 AT 2:54 PM
EASYOFF
Sorry for the delay, I wanted to make sure I had $$$ in the bank first. Ok, so I went to midas today and they hook up a computer to it and said that every thing was fine with the engine and sensors, the engine temp gage in-dash would go to the fist large hash mark past center then the fans would kick in, it did not do that last year, they show me that with there comp, it goes to 108 degrease and fans start. They say that my dash cluster is not working right and that every thing was fine. He suggested me to go out and buy another one from the dealer our scrap yard.
But why would/how could the instrument cluster engine heat gage get out of sink?
+1
Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 3:25 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
With new vehicles there are small computers and gadgets everywhere on them, used to the coolant gauge was just a mechanical style gauge that went from the inside of car to near the thermostat so it could be sitting in the coolant. Nowadays it's electric and all built into the instrument gauge. So if it fails it will give out inaccurate readings and the only way to fix it is to replace the entire instrument gauge cluster.
Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 7:34 PM
EASYOFF
THX, I guess ill have to get use to it until something else goes wrong on it :(, are they expensive?
Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 3:50 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Should be able to find a used one at local salvage yard or online like ebay or craigslist for a decent price
Thursday, July 22nd, 2010 AT 6:23 PM