2001 Chevy Venture Overheats and heater stops working

GADIAUTO
  • 2001 CHEVROLET VENTURE
Has a new thermostat. No external coolant leaks. Could it be a blown head gasket?
Friday, January 25th, 2008 AT 11:09 AM

Have it block and pressure tested-do the block first to pinpoint a combustion leaking into the cooling system or a gas analyzer to sniff for hydrocarbons at the radiator fill neck.

Pressure test: do not do a pressure test if there's leakage at the headgasket this might cause coolant into the cylinders and lock it up or bend a connecting rod if cranked thereafter. The headgasket should be repaired before doing the pressure test.

If the block and pressure test passes check the following: Thermostat, Pressure test the Rad. Cap, Clogged radiator, Fan clutch, Radiator electrical fan, collaspe hoses, water pump.
Friday, January 25th, 2008 AT 12:00 PM
ROCKWOOD84
You say new thermastat. Where was the new t-stat made? If it was mexico then it could be the new t-stat.I ran into this when I put intake/head gaskets in mine in '05. I put a new t-stat in cranked it up checking for leaks and noleaks but the temp hand went up 3/4 way and stayed there no heat. Rechecked everything after it cooled off radiator full then pulled the t-stat out went and got another one. Put it in same thing. Did this 5 times each time same thing it would warm up then when the t-stat was supposed to open never did temp kept going up. Just for the hell of it we boiled some water ste it off burner dropped the new t-stat in it never opened. Got to looking at it made in mexico, as were the other 4.I had to go to 8 parts stores to get one made in usa put it in temp gauge went half way t-stat opened run like a new one. Lesson learned t-stats made in mexico ain't worth the box they come in.
Monday, January 28th, 2008 AT 2:47 AM