2000 Chevy Venture no heat

BOBBINBIRD1
  • 2000 CHEVROLET VENTURE
No heat, temp guage spikes and falls, replaced thermostat, burped the system(@ a garage)
checked all relays and fuses
Wednesday, February 10th, 2010 AT 5:42 PM

JEDIKNIGHT2
TWO WORDS.

HEAD. GASKET TONS of articles on this and it's UNFORTUNATELY a COMMON PROBLEM. Its what happens when you take an aluminum head and place a rubber gasket between it and a cast iron block.
Wednesday, February 17th, 2010 AT 8:22 AM
BIG SPAZMAN
Before I got the answer from this site, my 1997 Chevy Venture heat gauge also would spike to red line hot and then drop down to cold and then back up to super hot and the heater was blowing cold air and I couldn't figure it out, what was causing the problem. I finally found that the small spout just under the rad cap that connects the overflow hose to the plastic overflow tank, was cracked on the bottom side and was spitting antifreeze onto the ground. As the engine would heat up and des pence my antifreeze out this crack it created air blockage in the whole line. I had to replace the rad as JB weld wasn't able to repair the crack. Once I got everything all back together, I still ran into the problem of engine overheating and no hot air coming from my heater because of the air getting into my system until I bled the line with rad cap off also and removing the bleeder bolt until antifreeze flowed out of hole and then I put the cap back on and the bleeder nut back on and tightened down and all was great
Tuesday, November 15th, 2016 AT 6:51 PM