1999 Chevy Venture engine wont start

TCULVERWELL
  • 1999 CHEVROLET VENTURE
I aquired this van because it stooped working. The starter tested bad, replaced it and the feul filter, now it cranks but huffs and poofs but will not run, I had it start by holding the pedal all the way down, but as soon as I let off it stalled out. So far now it still tries but just won't fire up
Thursday, February 14th, 2008 AT 5:12 PM

MASTERTECHTIM
I would start by pulling down the exhaust pipe at the engine, this will eliminate a clogged cat converter. If the truck starts and runs you know there is a restriction in the exhaust. Hope this helps
Thursday, February 14th, 2008 AT 5:19 PM
TCULVERWELL
I just went out and cranked it. It started but was real rough (like its starving for air or fuel) it did stay running when I let off the gas but does have a very pungent odor in the exhaust. Had to keep the pedal down to get it to start. I am limited on what I can remove or test due to limited tools, and knowledge of newer veh's would bad catylitic converter cause the bad odor?
Thursday, February 14th, 2008 AT 5:55 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
Check the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail, it has a vacuum line going to it. Pull off the vacuum line and see if there is any sign of fuel. If any fuel then replace fuel pressure regulator, this could also cause severe flooding.
Friday, February 15th, 2008 AT 4:15 PM
TCULVERWELL
I went today and bought a code scanner, it read P0300 random/multiple cylinder misfire detected. I got this code twice. I also picked up a manual for this veh. And will follow thru with Ignition coil and ignition control module tests. Your help with this is greatly appreciated I will check the fuel pressure regulator first.
Friday, February 15th, 2008 AT 6:45 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
Id check regulator first then remove one plug wire at a time on the coil pack and see if any are burnt. Let us know
Friday, February 15th, 2008 AT 7:17 PM
CHARRISON145
I am repairing a 98 venture 3.4L 6cyl. Same thing was happening almost to a T. I broke into it and about 2-3 cyl. Were barely firing (if at all) and found out the camshaft was broken in half just behind the second cam bearing. DO NOT ASSUME THIS IS IT. Make sure to check valve movement first.
Tuesday, March 11th, 2008 AT 11:24 PM