1997 Chevy Venture overheating, no heat

TRAVISHAL
  • 1997 CHEVROLET VENTURE
I am really hoping you can help me figure out what is going on in my engine. Ok here is the story. We bought this van used with 152000 miles on it. Around 151000 miles on it we replaced the intake gaskets because they went bad. At 152000 even the head gaskets blew and it was cheaper to put an used engine in it instead of the repair. We purchased a used engine with 87000 miles on it. We have since put 5000 miles on it. Well while driving home today (on the freeway) the temp. Gauge shot up to the red and I had not heat. I limped it home. While driving the temp went down to a 1/4 on the gauge. Still no heat. The coolant is backed up in the resevoir. I am able to drive it for about 1.5 to 2 miles before it gets hot and then it goes down to 1/2 and then back up. Still no heat. PLEASE HELP!
Tuesday, January 26th, 2010 AT 5:27 PM

SCOTTY DEE
There has to be a loss of coolant occuring somewhere. Have the cooling system pressure tested. Also do a block test to see if there are exhaust gasses in the cooling system.
Wednesday, January 27th, 2010 AT 11:59 AM
NIZ76
There's a TON of people that have this exact same problem with Chevy Ventures. I was one of them... It is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE REAR to get the air out of the coolant system! Sounds like the problem.. also, b careful cuz ive been told that due to the aluminum heads, they are very prone to blown head gaskets, warping etc. after even only one overheat...
There is (actually two) bleeder screws on the coolant system. I use the one on the passenger side of the vehicle because its higher and better to let out extra air... Its located about ten inches to the left of the oil fill cap. It has a hex head (cant remember the size) and its very simple to bleed the air out by unscrewing it a few turns and bleed until coolant streams out. This process took me like two days of repeating until finally my temp gauge and everything is back to normal...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/505181_IMG00122_1.jpg

+1
Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 6:33 PM
BIG SPAZMAN
The answer I got from Niz76 was awesome to stop my overheating of my engine and get my heater to blow hot air in my 1997 Chevy venture. It took me 20 minutes to pop the rad cap, release the bleeder nut on the left hand side and start the van and squeeze the hoses on both sides while the van was running. As soon as the antifreeze started running out of the bleeder nut hole, I tightened the bleeder nut and put the rad cap back on tight and took the van for a boot around the block a few times. Problem fixed, no overheating, and awesome hot heat. THANKYOU
Tuesday, November 15th, 2016 AT 6:27 PM