98 Chevy 4X4 heater and 4X4 electrical problem

AMYNJARROD
  • 1998 CHEVROLET TRUCK
I've got a 1998 chevy 2500 4x4 with a 6.5 turbo diesel. From time to time my heater does not work, but the wierd thing is when my heater don't work niether does my four wheel drive. It has a manual transfer ( stick on the floor) but electric front end. When its not working I have no light on the floor for the 4x4 and no power at all to my heater switch, temp. Controll or any of that. When it works everything works fine( all fan speeds, a/c, heat controll, everything) They must share the same power somewhere, but where? I pulled fuses and relays( all I could find) but can't find anything that they both share. I'm stumped!
Wednesday, November 29th, 2006 AT 6:48 PM

CUBPILOT2
Have you found out what was causing your problem? I have a 91 GMC 2500 that has developed the exact same problem. I Lost the fan, several panel gages, and the manual transfer 4x4 won't engage.
Wednesday, December 6th, 2006 AT 10:55 PM
AMYNJARROD
Nope, no one has given me any ideas. I don't know what the hell's going on. Now I've noticed that my brak lights work only when they want to. It's driving me nuts!LOL!
Sunday, December 10th, 2006 AT 6:27 PM
GARFIELD
You may want to look around under your dash for loose or corroded ground connections. Bad grounds and loose connections will cause all kinds of weird problems. If you have access to the wiring diagram it may give you some ideas as to a starting point like a common ground for all of your problems. I don't work till tomorrow night but I will try and see if I can get a schematic and try and look for a common area to start looking.
Sunday, December 10th, 2006 AT 7:54 PM
CUBPILOT2
Amynjarrod:
I solved my problem and am sure it will help you as they acted the same.
The trouble is in the electrical portion of the ignition switch mounted on the top of the stearing column, under the dash and above the dimmer switch. At least that is the way my 91 is. The switch has one section that is a direct power feed to the fuse box where it supplys the 4 wheel drive, heater, panel gages, and stop lights.
You will have to drop the cover under the column and remove the column support bolts, which will let it drop down a bit (on non adjustable column) to allow limited access to the switch. It will take small hands and patients. The switch is only about $22.00
Yours may be intermittant now but will soon fail totally and you won't like it.
Good Luck and God Bless
Ed
Sunday, January 7th, 2007 AT 1:44 AM