Distributor installation

ZEPEDA
  • 1985 CHEVROLET TRUCK
2.8l w/carb 165,000 miles I removed the distributor without making a mark. I found TDC but does the rotor point towards the #1 piston or #1 terminal on the distributor cap? I tired the #1 terminal like the book said but the dist. Body moves so it is hard to determine if the dist. Is installed correctly. Thanks in advance!
Tuesday, August 1st, 2006 AT 12:52 AM

KEN

I have done many in my day, here is the instructions.

To install a distributor you must first make sure the engine is on #1 This is done with the #1 spark plug out. While bumping the engine over with the starter feel for compression as the timing mark is coming around. Next, make a line on the distributor housing that represents #1 spark plug wire from the cap. Now when you install the distributor it will turn about 30 degrees as it is engaging the cam gear.

So start with the rotor pointing a little off and set the distributor in place. It will rotate into the correct position. If the distributor doesn't drop all the way down it means the oil pump drive is not oriented correctly and must be turned with a long screw driver, keep moving it a little bit until the distributor drops down.

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

(DIAGRAM BELOW)

Cheers, Ken
Friday, May 19th, 2017 AT 2:29 PM