1999 Chevy Truck caliper sticking?

IROMUS
  • 1999 CHEVROLET TRUCK
Brakes problem
1999 Chevy Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 115k miles

the other day I was headed fishing and noticed the truck was pulling pretty hard to the left. Almost immediately after that, I started smelling burning brakes.I pulled over and the drivers side front wheel was smoking pretty good. So, I eased it back to the house and have only driven it a mile or two since then. Maybe I should note that I fish a lot, and drive this truck into the water maybe twice a week, deep enough to submerge all 4 wheels. The truck still stops ok, and the sticking caliper has since let up. But I fear driving it much farther than a mile or so in case it gets stuck again. Is the caliper actually getting stuck or might I have air in the lines? TIA for any help you might be able to give me finding the problem
Sunday, June 7th, 2009 AT 10:05 PM

PEAR69
If you drive it in the water a lot, I suspect that the caliper slide pins must be serviced. These pins allow the caliper to "slide smoothly" against the pads. I suspect that the grease has washed away from these pins - causing them to get surface rust on them--thus seizing the caliper. It is an easy fix. Caliper hardware kits are readily available. Be sure to use the proper caliper grease on these pins.
If the caliper piston boot is damaged - even a little - water may have gotten into the caliper - but this usually does not seize the caliper to the point of smoking the rotor.

BTW - driving in the water is great, but remember that there are grease fittings and parts that require grease to operate properly-(ball joints, tie rod ends ETC.)-So service these parts more frequently and good luck fishing!
Sunday, June 7th, 2009 AT 10:44 PM
IROMUS
Thank you for the quick reply.

Ill give this a shot in the morning. Definitely makes sense.I noticed the smell once before while driving, but didnt think much of it. Thought it might be someone in front of me. But it wasnt nearly as pronounced as the second time around. Just a slight smell of burning brakes, didnt notice it pulling to the left any either. Makes sense that it would seize a little more severely nearly a week later and after a couple more trips fishing. Thanks again for the help
Sunday, June 7th, 2009 AT 10:58 PM