1991 Chevy Truck Engine turns over but usually won't start

JAMESEJAM
  • 1991 CHEVROLET TRUCK
My truck ran fine until the other day. I shut it off for a minute while I was picking up food, and when I came back it turned over but wouldn't start. I let it sit there overnight, and the next day it started and ran fine until I shut it off and tried to start it again. Now it turns over and rarely starts, but still runs fine once it's on. Since this problem, I've replaced the ignition control module and the ignition coil to no avail. I replaced the whole distributor a month ago, before I had this problem.
Tuesday, November 17th, 2009 AT 12:38 AM

Check the fuel pressure, fuel pump could be on its way out
-1
Tuesday, November 17th, 2009 AT 1:38 AM
JAMESEJAM
If the fuel pump was dying, would it still run fine once the engine gets started? I would think it would die while driving but I'm not an expert. Also, I used a timing light to check for spark while cranking and there was nothing. So no spark and no fuel.I'm stumped.
Tuesday, November 17th, 2009 AT 2:12 AM
If the fuel pump was dying, the only way to tell is check the fuel pressure with a gauge-Now that you also have no spark am beginning to think computer.

Double check again-Do below

disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor /distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, Ignitor camshaft and crankshaft sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

If both fuel pressure and blue spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing belt/chain
Tuesday, November 17th, 2009 AT 2:46 AM