1991 Chevy 1500 timing troubles

ACEITALL
  • 1991 CHEVROLET TRUCK
I have a 1991 chevy 1500 :D (305 v8)
and I have recantaly re built it and now I am trying to start it but can't get it timed can you walk me throught all the syeps to time a engine
Thursday, July 20th, 2006 AT 1:17 PM

MIKEYBDMAN
First. Ensure that the timing marks on the crankshaft sprocket and camshaft sprocket are as close together as possible and lined up with the shaft centers.

Remove the number 1 spark plug.
Place finger over the number 1 spark plug hole and turn engine slowly until compression is felt.
Align timing mark on pulley to "0" on engine timing indicator.
Turn rotor to point to the 1 spark plug tower on the distributor cap.
If the distributor shaft will not drop down flush with the engine, it may be necessary to rotate the oil pump drive shaft to align it with the slot on the bottom of the distributor drive gear. Insert a screwdriver into the distributor hole in the engine and turn the oil pump drive shaft slightly to allow alignment.

Install the distributor.
Install the distributor hold-down clamp and retaining nut.
Install the distributor cap.
Connect the wiring harness connector at the side of the distributor cap.
Connect the negative battery cable.

Then.
If you have a Throttle Body configuration. Set timing under the following conditions:

Normal operating temperature.
Air cleaner installed.
A/C "OFF".
Transmission in neutral.
Disconnect SET TIMING connector (tan/black wire) located in harness close to distributor. DO NOT disconnect 4 wire connector at distributor.
Connect timing light and adjust as necessary by loosening hold down bolt and rotating distributor.
I show the timing to be "0", but there should be a lable under your hood to the specific timing to set the engine to.

Tighten hold down and recheck the timing.
Stop the engine and connect SET TIMING connector.
Clear ECM trouble code by disconnecting ECM power source.
+1
Friday, July 21st, 2006 AT 2:57 PM