CHEVY CRANKSHAFT POSISTION SENSOR

1988 Chevrolet Truck

tdecker85087

November, 22, 2009 AT 2:52 PM

1988 Chevy Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 178000 miles

Where is the Crankshaft Posistion Sensor located on a 1988 Chevy 5.7 L K1500?

mathiaso

November, 23, 2009 AT 12:27 PM

1988 Chevrolet Truck K1500 1/2ton P/U 4WD 5.7L TBI 8cyl
Crankshaft Position Sensor location.

This vehicle is not equipped with selected component.
How can I help? Does the vehicle has problem starting?

tdecker85087

November, 23, 2009 AT 7:46 PM

Correct. The truck does not start. There is no spark at the plug. I have changed distributer cap, rotor, timing chain and still no spark at the plug. I do have spark at the coil wire off he coil. Would a bad pick up coil or something in the distributor not allow spark to get to the plug?

mathiaso

November, 24, 2009 AT 1:20 AM

We do not have spark, we should check for fuel.
There is an electric fuel pump underneath. When starting, Can you hear the fuel pump?

tdecker85087

November, 24, 2009 AT 6:56 PM

Yes there is fuel spraying into the throttle body. It still has no spark at the plugs. I turned the distributor about 3" and seen a spark at the plug. It only sparked once on the number one cylinder. What would cause this?

mathiaso

November, 24, 2009 AT 11:02 PM

Yes either the ignition module or the distributor pickup.
They will need to be checked , because they are most likely to cause that problem.

When you install the new distributor, line up the vacuum advance in the same direction as the old distributor was pointing, rotate the shaft so the rotor will be pointing approximately in the same location as the #1 spark plug terminal, then slide the distributor into the engine. The angle of the drive gears will cause the rotor to rotate slightly and the distributor slides all the way into the engine. Replace the distributor hold down clamp and nut, but do not tighten.

Start the engine and use a timing light to adjust the timing to specifications (typically 6 to 10 degrees of advance with the vacuum advance hose disconnected and plugged at 550 to 650 rpm idle speed).

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front