Brakes are locked up

GUYHAT6370
  • 1985 CHEVROLET TRUCK

Brakes problem V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic lots miles

My right front caliper froze up and burnt the brakes. I replaced all the front brake parts with new not rebuilt. The problem came back after a week. I than replaced the proportioning valve with a rebuilt one. Bleed the system and both front brakes are locked up after applying the pedal, and the brake light is on. Help please

Saturday, October 25th, 2008 AT 1:56 PM

PEAR69

This problem is a classic brake flex hose falling apart on the inside. I would replace both to be safe here is a video and a guide to help you get the job done.

https://youtu.be/xMS8Xy4Xz1U

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers

Saturday, October 25th, 2008 AT 2:09 PM
BYRONY

That worked perfect, you guys are the best I love this site.

Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 AT 8:45 AM
JENCE
  • 1979 CHEVROLET TRUCK

Brakes problem
1979 Chevy Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

When driving this truck some times the front brakes will lock up, the brake pedal is real hard to push when this happens. If I let the truck sit for awhile it will unlock and go like normal. This doesn't happen all the time.

Friday, November 3rd, 2017 AT 4:33 PM (Merged)
TOOOMANYTOYS

Need some information. Is it locking up the fronts or the rears. Also is it disc brakes in the front. Drum brakes in the rear. Most common problem is the caliper piston over extending due to low pads or thin rotors

JENCE

It's the fronts only and they are disc brakes. Thought maybe it has something to do with the hydra booster, since it happens when not even applying the brakes

TOOOMANYTOYS

It is possiable but unlikely that it is the hydroboost, because it requires mechanical force to activate. I would first pull the front wheels and check for caliper bind. A telltale sign of failure would be caliper being a redish color indicating it sticking and overheating. Also check the thickness of rotors and pads.