CHEVY PROPORTIONING VALVE

1985 Chevrolet Truck

guyhat6370

October, 25, 2008 AT 1:56 PM

Brakes problem
1985 Chevy Truck V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic lots miles

my right front caliper froze up and burnt the brakes. I replaced all the front brake parts with new not rebuilt. The problem came back after a week. I than replaced the proportioning valve with a rebuilt one. Bleed the system and both front brakes are locked up after applying the pedal, and the brake light is on. Help please

pear69

October, 25, 2008 AT 2:09 PM

Did you completely drain, flush, and change the brake fluid? If not then do so. It sounds like old gummed up brake fluid is causing your problem. The master cylinder is probably sticking because of this. You can rebuild it or just replace it. I suggest replacing with a CARDONE re-manufactured unit. They are better than new.

ByronY

October, 27, 2008 AT 3:19 PM

Could you please tell me where you found a combination valve, I have a 1984 C20 Suburban that has a leaking brake combination valve and I can't find one anywhere

pear69

October, 28, 2008 AT 6:01 PM

Follow the brake lines from the master cylinder - there should be two - one for the front and one for the back - If there are combo valves, they will be after the master cylinder and before the caliper and/or wheel cylinder. The master cylinder line will feed the combo valve and two lines will go to each caliper or wheel cylinder.
Some combo valves are attatched to the master cylinder itself, and some are internally located inside of the master cylinder itself - but in 1984 this wasn't around. Or I should say not avaliable--yet.

ByronY

October, 29, 2008 AT 8:45 AM

NO, where can I find one for sale, not where is it on the frame. It was a dealer only item and GM has discontinued the part.

Replacing a Proportioning Valve? Here is How
Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape