1976 Chevy Truck ignition lock cylinder

KSCARSDALE
  • 1976 CHEVROLET TRUCK
1976 Chevy Truck V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

how do I change an ignition lock cylinder in a 1976 chevy pick up I am experienced in repairs I have the steering wheel off and all the horn and blinker stuff out of the way but I cant find the release pin to remove the lock cylinder.
Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 5:17 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
REMOVAL:
Remove steering wheel and turn signal switch.
It is not necessary to completely remove the turn signal switch. Pull the switch over the end of the shaft; no further.

Place lock cylinder in RUN position.
Do not remove the ignition key buzzer.

Insert a small drift pin into the turn signal housing slot. Keeping the drift pin to the right side of the slot, break the housing flash loose and depress the spring latch at the lower end of the lock cylinder. Remove the lock cylinder.
WARNING
Considerable force may be necessary to break this casting flash, but be careful not to damage any other parts. When ordering a new lock cylinder, specify a cylinder assembly. This will save assembling the cylinder, washer, sleeve and adapter.

INSTALLATION:
Hold the lock cylinder sleeve and rotate the knob clockwise against the stop.
Insert the cylinder into the housing, aligning the key and keyway.
Hold a 0.070 in. Drill between the lock bezel and housing. Rotate the cylinder counterclockwise, maintaining a light pressure until the drive section of the cylinder mates with the sector.
Push in until the snapring pops into the grooves. Remove drill. Check cylinder operation.
The drill prevents forcing the lock cylinder inward beyond its normal position. The buzzer switch and spring latch can hold the lock cylinder in too far. Complete disassembly of the upper bearing housing is necessary to release an improperly installed lock cylinder.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 12:30 AM