2004 Chevy Trailblazer AC stalls engine if under 1k RPM

GUITARROCKERISME
  • 2004 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
Can't turn on AC if rpms are below 1k without stalling the engine. Once above 1k rpm I can turn on the AC and it runs fine. The compressor doesn't cycle repeatedly and it produces cold air. Once I get below 1k rpm or I idle, the compressor keeps kicking in about every 5 seconds and eventually kills the engine.
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 AT 5:21 PM

BRIAN 1
Try this info, Engine may stall with the air-conditioner on and or while adding additional loads to the engine at idle. An example of an addition load would be turning the steering wheel left or right with the air-conditioning on. This type of stall usually occurs during idle or slow parking lot maneuvers. This concern may not set any diagnostic trouble codes. Clean the throttle body bore and the throttle valve plate using a clean shop towel.
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 AT 8:39 PM
GUITARROCKERISME
Thank you! If this solves my problem, I will be sending a donation to show my thanks.
Wednesday, May 13th, 2009 AT 9:57 PM
NEVERBUYACHEVY
I've been fighting the same problem for the last year plus. In time you will likely get a trouble code setting off the check engine/service engine soon light. The trouble code will be for the cam shaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor. I was Unfortunate enough to bring it to the wrong dealer for the first 3 tries to fix the problem and got ripped off. With research on line and talking with several mechanics I was told and found out one sensor will set off the other and both will need to be replaced. They are not too expensive, 80 U.S. Dollars for the two parts. After the sensors are changed the PCM will need to "relearn" the timing of the engine. This almost has to be done at a GM dealer, and cost about 80 U.S. Dollars. Total time to replace both sensors should be 1/2 hour. The cam shaft sensor is very easy to change, the crank shaft sensor is a bear to get at. I choose to change the cam sensor myself, but couldn't reach the crank sensor. Change both sensors and have GOOD DEALER relearn the computer system. Mine seems to be working for now, best of luck.
Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 8:28 PM