2002 Chevy Trailblazer Climate control effecting idle/stall

PLAYTUNE
  • 2002 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
Hi,
I'm experiencing an issue with my climate control mechanism effecting my idle speed and causing engine to stall.
My engine runs fine until I turn on either the AC or Heat which is controlled by the climate control.

When I turn the climate control on the engine the engine will bogg down and when at a stop the engine will stall. When at driving speed I can feel the engine decrease power and then be normal and back to lack of power.

When I turn the climate control to off everything runs fine.
I replaced the MAP sensor because it was throwing a code thinking that might have something to do with it but it hasn't solved the issue.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Brad Foll
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 9:46 AM

WRENCHTECH
It's pretty much normal for the A/C compressor to add extra load to the engine. The problem is that the idle control is not compensating for it.

You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 9:59 AM
NEVERBUYACHEVY
I've been fighting the same problem for the last year plus. In time you will likely get a trouble code setting off the check engine/service engine soon light. The trouble code will be for the cam shaft postion sensor and the crankshaft postion sensor. I was Unfortunate enought to bring it to the wrong dealer for the first 3 trys to fix the problem and got ripped off. With research on line and talking with several mechanics I was told and found out one sensor will set off the other and both will need to be replaced. They are not too expensive, 80 U.S. Dollars for the two parts. After the sensors are changed the PCM will need to "relearn" the timing of the engine. This almost has to be done at a GM dealer, and cost about 80 U.S. Dollars. Total time to replace both sensors should be 1/2 hour. The cam shaft sensor is very easy to change, the crank shaft sensor is a bear to get at. I choose to change the cam sensor myslef, but couldn't reach the crank sensor. Change both sensors and have GOOD DEALER relearn the computer system. Mine seems to be working for now, best of luck.
Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 8:11 PM
WRENCHTECH
You need to start a new question of your own please.
+1
Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 9:43 PM