HELP! 2004 Tahoe Starting Problems

LAKETAHOE
  • 2004 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I am about ready to pull my hair out!
Here is the deal. About 6 months ago, I had a problem starting the Tahoe. It would crank over longer than normal, but eventually start (that happened once). Okay fast forward to last week. Same thing happen but took forever to get started. It would crank and crank and crank but no start. I stepped on the gas, but no start. Tried just the key again. Nothing. Tried stepping on the gas again and it started, but it jumped and bucked like it wasn't going to. So I go to the dealer to have it checked out and they talk me into the 30,000 mile check up as well. 2 days later I come back to pick up and they say nothing is wrong. Ok, so I go to work that day, for 8 hours, and come back out to go home and it doesn't start AGAIN! Same problem, cranks but no start. Eventually it fires. So the next morning back to the dealer, after trouble staring again. This time they tell me they fixed it. Turns out it was the fuel regulator. Okay, so I go to pick it up and it DOESN'T start (same thing) right in the dealer parking lot. COME ON! So, obviously, after some discussion I am on my way home again with a loaner car. I get the call again - that it is fixed. This time it's the spark plugs that are flooded, so they change those, and change the oil. So I go to pick up. And the first turn of the key yielded a start, BUT was still jumpy. Some thing is still off and I have to bring it back again. Does anybody have ANY idea what might be causing this? PS. I will definetely donate to the site if someone has the FIX[/b]
Wednesday, December 13th, 2006 AT 12:48 PM

BACKYARDMECHANIC
From what you tell me I'am lead to believe that your problem is fuel related. I have two question for you. One, does the problem happen more when the car sits for a long period. Second what did the 30,000 mile check up entail. (Adjustments, Parts changed etc) If the fuel regulator was bad it could cause a excessive amount of fuel pressure and foul out the plugs but this happened after the regulator was replaced so I don't think that's it. Sounds to me that one of the following could be bad: fuel filter is clogged, a kink in the fuel line, or the fuel pump is bad. Hope this helps :)
Backyardmechanic
Wednesday, December 13th, 2006 AT 2:28 PM
LAKETAHOE
Thanks for the quick reply,
Yes this starting problem only happens after sitting for a long period of time. (Usually more than 5-6 hours). The 30K check up was oil change, checking for leaks, wheel alignment, air filter, and a few other checks.
Now that you mention potential fuel problem, I should mention this vehicle is Flex Fuel capable and I have used E-85 fuel every once in awhile. But if its capable of using it, why would that be the problem? Hmmm.
Is it possible the "timing" is off? Any other thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Wednesday, December 13th, 2006 AT 2:37 PM
BACKYARDMECHANIC
The reason I asked if it happens when the car sits is because it sounds like there may be a fuel leak some where in the system. This would cause the fuel pressure to drop and this could be why you have trouble starting the car. Remember you need high pressure in order for the fuel injectors to operate properly. As far as it being the timing I don't think so. If the the timing was off the car would have trouble starting all the time and you would probably notice some performance issues.
Hope this helps Backyardmechanic :)
Wednesday, December 13th, 2006 AT 4:29 PM
DAVIDDOWDY2003
I have been experiencing the same problem for the last year. The dealer has replaced almost everything except the paint job! I have done some testing on my own and found that my Tahoe runs perfectly fine as long as I fill it up with E85 gas. Once I re-introduce regular gas it goes back to the same problems. I actually created a post on this site as well, I'm including the link below. Have you found an answer yet?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/tahoe-only-runs-on-e85-vt36558.html?highlight=e85
Wednesday, May 16th, 2007 AT 8:21 PM