2004 CHEVY TAHOE AC PROBLEM ON 2004 CHEVY TAHOE

• svinson
  • 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe

Air Conditioning problem
2004 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 120, 00 miles

Yesterday monring the battery in my 2004 Tahoe was dead. After replacing the battery, the motor idled a little bit rough for a few seconds, but then normalized. However, my air conditioning will now only blow out of the defrost vents. This is the case regardless of whether the system is set on "auto" or whether you manually select the vents (i.E. Dash vents, floor vents, defrost, etc). Prior to the battery going dead, I had no problems with the AC. Just because of the timing, I assume the dead battery and this AC problem are somehow connected. Can you offer any advice on possible causes and solutions?

Friday, September 24th, 2010 AT 10:19 AM

• Wrenchtech

The mode doors are operated by a small electric motor/actuator. When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, many of them go through a calibration sequence to determine the full range. Quite often the door will get jammed at one end. If you look up under the dash from the driver's side, you should be able to see the mode linkage and you may be able to help it along.

Friday, September 24th, 2010 AT 10:57 AM
  • svinson

What does the mode linkage look like? Not exactly sure what I am looking for. Does it have a white plastic half circle shaped gear on the outside of it?

Friday, September 24th, 2010 AT 11:09 AM
  • Wrenchtech

Yes, that's it. It operates more than one door by moving levers when it rotates.

Friday, September 24th, 2010 AT 11:11 AM
  • svinson

That did the trick. Thanks very much!

Friday, September 24th, 2010 AT 11:36 AM
  • Wrenchtech

Glad to hear that.

Leaving positive feedback would be appreciated.

Friday, September 24th, 2010 AT 11:37 AM