CHEVY AC PROBLEM ON CHEVY

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe

svinson

September, 24, 2010 AT 10:19 AM

Air Conditioning problem
2004 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 120, 00 miles

Yesterday monring the battery in my 2004 Tahoe was dead. After replacing the battery, the motor idled a little bit rough for a few seconds, but then normalized. However, my air conditioning will now only blow out of the defrost vents. This is the case regardless of whether the system is set on " auto" or whether you manually select the vents (i.E. Dash vents, floor vents, defrost, etc). Prior to the battery going dead, I had no problems with the AC. Just because of the timing, I assume the dead battery and this AC problem are somehow connected. Can you offer any advice on possible causes and solutions?

A/c

Air Conditioning

Wrenchtech

September, 24, 2010 AT 10:57 AM

The mode doors are operated by a small electric motor/actuator. When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, many of them go through a calibration sequence to determine the full range. Quite often the door will get jammed at one end. If you look up under the dash from the driver's side, you should be able to see the mode linkage and you may be able to help it along.

svinson

September, 24, 2010 AT 11:09 AM

What does the mode linkage look like? Not exactly sure what I am looking for. Does it have a white plastic half circle shaped gear on the outside of it?

Wrenchtech

September, 24, 2010 AT 11:11 AM

Yes, that's it. It operates more than one door by moving levers when it rotates.

svinson

September, 24, 2010 AT 11:36 AM

That did the trick. Thanks very much!

Wrenchtech

September, 24, 2010 AT 11:37 AM

Glad to hear that.

Leaving positive feedback would be appreciated.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe