2000 Chevy Tahoe Rough idle and @ 45-50mph

NAVYTECH79
  • 2000 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I have a 2000 Tahoe and a few months ago noticed that the engine was idling very rough and used the gas supplements a few times and the problem went away. Now it seems the problem is back and worse. I have tried the supplements, but no joy. Took the vehicle in to have the injectors cleaned and it seemed ok for a few days. But the problem is back. Since then I have noticed that while driving @ 45-50 mph the engine looses power and stutters. If I let off of the accelerator it stops stuttering. If I try to accelerate through and above 50 mph it has a hard time doing so. Please help me out. Thanks.
Saturday, January 17th, 2009 AT 11:08 AM

PEAR69
Is the check engine light on?
Saturday, January 17th, 2009 AT 3:07 PM
NAVYTECH79
No, that would have helped. The guys at the auto part store said that it would be very costly to take it in because the check engine light is not on. Sorry, this doesn't help.
Saturday, January 17th, 2009 AT 4:08 PM
PEAR69
Ok, that usually means that all the sensors etc. Etc. That are regulated by the computer are reading within spec.
There is a common problem with the fuel injection system on these engines. GM is VERY aware of this and has developed an upgraded fuel injector system for this problem. The problem is that a GM dealer must determine that this problem exists. The fact that you had the injectors cleaned and you had briefly positive results, leads me to believe that it is a fuel problem. A failing fuel pressure regulator is common and this may be your problem. However, this part is located under the upper intake manifold cover. Your injectors are also located and accessed under this cover. This cover should not be taken on and off a lot -- SO -- if you can get the chevy dealer to determine that the fuel injector system is to blame, they should repair this for free. And if a new upgraded injector system is installed they all come with a new fuel pressure regulator. Whoa!
OR LOL
Check your spark plugs. If you replace them or anyother ignition related item, make sure you use A/C Delco parts -- just trust me. If the gaps are good -- what do they look like? And be specific as to what cylinder they came out of.
Saturday, January 17th, 2009 AT 5:42 PM
NAVYTECH79
I took it into a mechanic and her noticed a strange hissing noise coming from the PCV valve and took it out and said I should replace that and let him know how it runs. I did and it seems to be running good, other than every once in a while it still idles rough.
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 12:16 PM
PEAR69
Check the fuel pressure.
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 3:43 AM
NAVYTECH79
Sorry, I didn't mention it. That was one of the things the mechanic checked also and said it was good.
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 7:41 AM
PEAR69
Put some tectron fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. Cheveron makes it. This may help. But as I mentioned before, check the spark plugs and wires, and make sure the injectors are pulsing (firing) properly. Did the mechanic check the fuel pressure regulator? This is a common failure.
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 12:53 PM
NAVYTECH79
I don't think he checked the fuel pressure regulator, but the spark plugs and wires are new. Just replaced them Yesterday.
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 6:23 PM
PEAR69
What brand wires and plugs did you use?
Sunday, February 22nd, 2009 AT 9:08 PM
NAVYTECH79
I know that the plugs are AC Delco. They did not have AC Delco wires, so I told the guy at the auto parts store to give me the wires one step above them then.
Monday, February 23rd, 2009 AT 1:54 PM