2000 Chevy Tahoe new tires and rims

NAVYTECH79
  • 2000 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I just recently bought new rims and tires from my brother-in-law. Unfortunately they are to big and are rubbing against the plastic part in the wheel-well. He told me to adjust the torsion bar and it should give me enough room for them. So I did and I was only able to raise it between 1/2 and 1/4 of an inch before it started to lower again. He told me that I might be able to bang the metal part of the wheel well where it is rubbing and give it enough room. I have not done this, and remembered I should have just asked the question here. The front tires seem to be rubbing towards the back of the wheel well. What are my options at this point. I am ready to take them off and call it quits, please help me.

Brandon
Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 AT 1:37 PM

MMPRINCE4000
You will probably have to raise vehicle with lift kit for proper wheel clearence.

Question is, will it be worth it? If you have to spend $2k to get proper clearence, is it worth it?

Raising vehicle also changes center of gravity and puts additional strain on suspension components and drive axles.

Look for local vendors that specialize in 4x4 lift kits and raising vehicle, get their opinion.
Monday, February 16th, 2009 AT 7:23 AM