No brake lights

LAYDEPOOH
  • 1999 CHEVROLET TAHOE
Already checked all fuses, hazard, park, and signal lights work fine but no brake lights. At first while slowing down to a stop light work however, once a complete stop is made brake lights go off. Now I do not have any brake lights at all.
Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 1:34 PM

Do you have a high-mount brake lite? If you do, does it work?

Can you check the brake lamp switch?

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_stop_lamp_1.jpg

The orange wire should be hot all the time. The white wire goes hot when you step on the brake.
+2
Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 2:17 PM
LAYDEPOOH
Yes there is a high-mount brake light and it does not work either. What is a brake lamp switch?
+2
Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 2:59 PM
I edited my last post, it gives a picture and wiring colors, related to the switch. That switch may be activated by the upper brake pedal arm. You need to follow the arm up, see if you can find the switch.

My info shows the high-mount brake lite gets voltage straight from the brake light switch and is not wired through the turn signal switch, like the others. If there is voltage on the orange and not on the white wire, with the brake pedal depressed, then it looks like a faulty switch. You can use a testlite to check those wires.
+3
Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 3:06 PM
LAYDEPOOH
Okay thx! I will try this, if not I will get some help. THX again
+2
Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 3:56 PM
LARRYV
  • 1999 CHEVROLET TAHOE
My brake lights would come on sometimes when I depress the pedal. If I depress the pedal repeatedly, they will work 2-3 times then stop working completely. Removed and opened the unit mounted above pedal. 4 sets of reed switches and contacts looked burned. Replaced with oem unit. Still, same problem. Mounting consists of sliding unit onto pedal arm and installing retaining clip. Then swing unit down onto arm and it clips onto arm. When I swing unit up away from pedal it will work again a couple of times, then quit again.
Somebody PLEASE help me, this is driving me crazy. I KNOW if I turn it over to a wrench, he's going to fix it in 10 minutes and tell me it took 4 hours and $300.00.
Wednesday, December 4th, 2019 AT 2:51 PM (Merged)
RUDPRO
I would think the problem is with the wiring. Either the connector itself or the wires going into the connector. Hold the brake pedal down, have someone watch the lights and wiggle the connector or the wires going into it and see what happens.
DRAKENTON
I also am experiencing this problem. Mine is a 97 tahoe and I have to push the breaks almost all the way down for the lights to turn on. Any help?
LARRYV
I've tried wiggling switch, set up mirror to watch brake lights. Nothing.
JOHNCURRANSR
  • 1999 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I have the third window break light. I have no btrak lights, only the center window break light works. I have lights and turn signals and flashers just no break lights in the tail light assemblys How do I test or figure out what the problem is (there is a trailor hitch wiring harness all has worked and recently have started having this issue) I checked all bulbs and checked for carossion and any broken or cracked or frayed wires Ive seen nothing obvios at all. Any suggestions. Thanks

John
ZACKMAN
Your taillight assembly consists of three bulbs. Backup (reverse), tail and turn (dual filament) and tail and stop(brake) (also dual filament).

Obviously the backup light has clear cover. Now you have two bulbs behind the red lense. Turn the turn signal, now you know which one is the turn light. Now remove the other one - not the back up, and not the turn. That is your tail/stop(brake light). Replace this bulb with a new 3157 (part number) bulb. If replacing the said bulb does nothing, then you have to replace the circuit board.
-1
ALSATROPINE
Is your taillight a sealed or unsealed? The sealed taillights can corrode and cause issues. I have had this problem in the past. Good luck!
BERNIEM
If you have the (Non-Factory)euro back lights like I have
on mine then yeah, I had the same issue. Sort-of.

If you checked the trailer wires and nothing, then
if you dont use the trailer hitch anymore I would
say run with the wires and un do them.

Or if not, remove the light fixtures, just take the
board out of the cover (2 bolts) hook it up the
the plug, wiggle, and press on the light bulb
while someone has the break in. See if comes on.
If it flickers, or comes on when you press hard,
you will get the idea what to do next.
+1

Sponsored links