1999 Chevy Tahoe fuel pump?

DESPISEDICON27
  • 1999 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I have a 1999 tahoe ls and have recently had very intermittant fuel pump failure. I replaced the pump when it went out almost a year ago to the day. After about 12 hrs or so it will turn on and work fine. I remember the squealing noise before it went out last year, and it isnt doing that at all. I replaced the oil pressure switch last week and it worked for a few hours, then tried it again and the fuel pump once again didnt turn on. I have checked the relay which clicks with the ignition and even wired up another relay and still nothing. Have a good ground and a 5 volt wire in the 3wire plug at the pump. Couldnt read anything off of the 3rd wire which I believe was a white wire. Any suggestions?
Thursday, June 25th, 2009 AT 4:56 PM

BERNIEM
Fuel pump can do many weird things.
NOT all of them will just halt and not work.
Some will keep working, but has low to no
pressure!

You say 1 wire is not reading, was the key on
to get this reading? 1 full power, 1 ground, 1 lets
it turns on from relay?

Check EGR (Clean it your self) Check Pressure censer
and after all that, yeah, Fuel pump.
Tahoe is notorious for them to go out!

Also, 12 hours after it sits? Not 5 minutes?
Or less then an hour?
Thursday, June 25th, 2009 AT 10:03 PM
DESPISEDICON27
It was making a LOT of noise when it went out the first time. And sounds fine every time is does cut on now. A little weak during cranking, but starts and runs fine every time it cuts on. With the key off I have 2 wires that read nothing and a ground. With the key on I have the same ground, and 5 volt wire and nothing on the 3rd wire. I have also tested the one wire that goes into the oil pressure switch which goes from about 2 k ohms with the key off and about half that with the ignition switched on. When I switched the ignition on to check the pressure sensor, I had the fuel pump UNPLUGGED and it STILL CUT ON! No clue there. I have not checked the egr so I will clean it up and see what that does, hopefully something good! If I let it sit for a few short moments the fuel pump cuts on basically everytime. If it has ran and then sits for maybe 10-15 minutes it wont cut on again. Put the new fuel pump in about a year ago to the day, so really really hopin that isnt what it is, because the warranty just ran out on it
Saturday, June 27th, 2009 AT 11:02 AM