1999 Chevy Tahoe Engine turns but doesn't start

SINGLE_MOM
  • 1999 CHEVROLET TAHOE
HELP! When I turn the key the engine tries to start but it does not fire. After going from the on position to the start a few times and applying the gas peddle it almost catches. Is this a fuel pump problem and if so does anybody know about how much it costs to replace? Or how hard is it to DIY? Thanks
Thursday, January 1st, 2009 AT 11:29 PM

Do below to determine if its fuel or spark issue and get back asap

Get a starting fluid or ether and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it
Friday, January 2nd, 2009 AT 12:37 AM
SINGLE_MOM
Ok tried the starter fluid and it still wouldn't start. I honestly have no clue where to find the spark plugs. I had hoped my brother would come assist me but hasn't shown up yet. Where would I find the plugs and how do you ground them to the engine? I just added 3-4 gallons of fuel because a neighbor suggested it might be the problem still no luck, although it sounds flooded now. Thanks
Friday, January 2nd, 2009 AT 4:58 PM
The sparkplugs wire are the ones that are attached to a cap with 8 wires on it-go to the other end of the wire and disconnect it from the sparkplugs then ground it to the engine and have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark?
Friday, January 2nd, 2009 AT 5:11 PM