1999 Chevy Tahoe Distributor installation procedure

JMANETTI
  • 1999 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I have a 99 tahoe with a misfire on #5 which is probably an injector. But, I wanted to replace the distributor cap and rotor with an upgraded one. In doing so, I found out that the plastic distributor was broken on the mounting screws for the cap. I purchased an all aluminum distributor online which is a direct replacement and much better than the factory plastic one. My problem is that since I installed it, I've noticed my gas mileage has gotten worse. The sticker under the hood says it doesn't have to be timed. Is this correct? How about if the distributor is off a tooth, will this matter? I've put plenty of distributors in my older cars that I have to time with a light. This one, just seems a lil weird to me. What is the correct procedure to install? Thanks
Tuesday, January 6th, 2009 AT 5:47 PM

RHALL77
No it doesnt need to be timed, they do just pretty much just drop in. Did you check to see if there was a vaccum leak or any sensor disconnected after you installed the distrubitor.
Tuesday, January 6th, 2009 AT 6:34 PM
JMANETTI
Thanks for responding right away! I'm a retired GM Tech. Been away from the newer engines for awhile. I don't know too much about the newer systems OBD II. I'm pretty much old school. Anyway.I was just concerned because I pointed the dist rotor to face forward before removing. When I installed the new one, it was slightly to the left(passenger side).I thought maybe this would matter. But, when I read up on it. They say it doesn't matter. This truck does have a misfire, intermittantly under load mostly. I fear it is an injector. But wanted to cover the simple stuff first. I don't lose coolant, the wires and plugs are good. I just want to make sure this truck is safe for long road trips. I bought it used a few months ago. I replaced mostly all the things that go wrong with the truck. IE: Gas tank unit and pump. Etc. How about cruise control problems? It doesn't work. Someone else told me they had problems with the multi function lever. Is this true?
Tuesday, January 6th, 2009 AT 7:27 PM
RHALL77
If you have a scan tool, road test it and see if the o2 sensors read lean when under a misfire or a load. There is a common problem on the upper intake gaskets leaking vaccum (if its a plastic intake). As for the cruise control, check your fuses and see if they are ok. I have see the switchs go bad. Check you connector and see if you have the signal for resume and accel when you puch the buttons on the lever.
Wednesday, January 7th, 2009 AT 4:16 PM
JMANETTI
Thanks again for the response. I checked over everything today. I am currently getting really poor gas mileage since I switched the distributor. I checked all connections and vacuum lines. I even sprayed some carb cleaner around the intake area to see if the idle increased. NO! It looks like the upper intake was removed before. The bolts show some scuff marks on them. Plus, the wire looms are not installed correctly. I have a cheap scan tool for OBD II. I will do as you requested on the O2 sensor reading while it misfires. Today, it misfired so severely that I could only do 30 mph until it cleared out. Check engine lite came on. PO300 and Misfire code for #5 again. I did have great mileage before distributor replacement even with the misfire. I was going to check for TDC today but the balancer does not have a timing mark so I will have to take out #1 plug and do it that way and recheck the placement of the rotor. I still fear it is a tooth off. Will this matter if its off a tooth? I am about ready to purchase a full service manual for this truck. I have many older manuals from GM. But none with this type of engine. Thanks again!
Wednesday, January 7th, 2009 AT 7:18 PM
RHALL77
Try tapping on the injector with a screw driver and see if it will start working.
Thursday, January 8th, 2009 AT 9:36 PM
JMANETTI
I cannot see the injectors. They are under the plastic upper intake. This is a "R" engine. Throttle body on top. With the spider injector system contained under the plenum.
Friday, January 9th, 2009 AT 6:53 AM