CHEVY CHIRPING IN FRONT OF ENGINE

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

NQBUS

February, 8, 2010 AT 12:52 PM

Noises problem
1999 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

Thinking about purchasing this 1999 Tahoe for my son. I've driven it about 70 miles so far, and there is this chirping sound in the front of the engine, but I am unable to narrow it down to a specific part. Serpentine belt appears to have been replaced, but I'm not sure if it is the problem. Noise gets a little louder with an RPM increase. Power steering fluid is good. Any ideas?

Service Writer

February, 8, 2010 AT 5:27 PM

It may be a belt noise. You can give a quick blast of silicone or thin lube and it may stop it for a moment. Then if you take some valve grinding compound and smear it on both sides it will remove any glazing.
Cheap belts are more prone to noise.
A weak tensioner can add to a belt noise. Lastly a pulley may be the source. Try rocking each pulley to feel for any movement. Remove the belt and feel each pulley for any roughness.

NQBUS

February, 8, 2010 AT 6:31 PM

Replaced the pulley on the tensioner, and about 85% of the chirping went away. Spun the idler pulley while the belt was off and I think it may be accounting for the only minor chirp left. Don't hear it now when the RPMs are up, only when it comes back down, and then only a little.

NQBUS

February, 8, 2010 AT 6:58 PM

Spoke too soon, the noise is back. If the tensioner itself is weak it can cause this? Is that more likely than the idler pulley?

Service Writer

February, 9, 2010 AT 7:17 AM

Original tensioner? Good chance.

I have had multiple sources of it on my truck. Reasonable to expect wear on all the pullies and contributing, but a weak tensioner can be a source for sure.

Look closely at the tensioner mounting, IT the arm of the tensioner pulled in enough to see a gap that is unequal where it mounts?

Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
 Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota