CHEVY TURN SIGNAL PROBLEM

2003 Chevrolet Suburban

52cit

2003 Chevy Suburban V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 94000 miles

Vehicle as above: right turn signal works fine, but when selecting the left turn signal the entire " emergency flasher/hazzard lights" system flashes - not just the left turn indicator lights. I checked all the bulbs and all fuses and even pulled the dash and looked for any loose or contacting wires - none found. This started about three weeks ago, and during that period of time this has happened four times but the fault usually corrected itself after a couple attempts at using the left signal. Today, after about an hour of driving around town, it started again and has not corrected itself. During todays incident, I attempted to wiggle the emergency flasher and cycled both the left and right turn signal numerous times to no positive result. I think this car has two flasher (one for turn signals and one for the hazzard lights) but this problem is so different than any other turn signal/flasher problem I have had. Though I am an above average wrench, electrical stuff (especially around air bags) really is my weak link. I suspect a short or maybe bad turn signal switch itself. Could you folks offer any solid ideas or guidance from your end?

Jack42

That sub has a turn signal/flasher module in the fuse panel on the left end of the dash. Test the dark green wire for power when left signal is on, if ok then the module is bad.

52cit

February, 6, 2008 AT 12:21 PM

Jack, Thanks for the quick reply. I have a couple points I need answered if possible. I removed the lower decorative cover from below the steering column as well as the decorative dash cover from above the column and got a great view of the back of the fuse panel. As you know there are multiple green wires to include a " very" dark wire (sooo dark it looks blue/black) that I think may be your " dark Green" wire which leads to the back of 10amp " Left Turn Signal" fuse. Is that the one you reference? Also, next to that fuse location on the cockpit edge of the back of the fuse panel is a plastic box label GM part # 15764135. Is that the " module" you refered to? As for testing, my plan is to pierce the wire mentioned above with my tester when the left turn signal is flashing everything (basically the Hazzard light system). If I test the wire and end up replacing the module you mentioned and it does not solve the issue, do I move to the " turn signal" switch on the column? Finally, since it has warmed up here in Texas over the last couple days, the propblem has gone away. Does that temp factor seem to coincide with your module problem diagnosis? Much appreciate your help. I'll be back with more questions and donations. Thanks. Louie Braun

Jack42

February, 6, 2008 AT 12:30 PM

The wire to the fuse is power in. To find the wire go to the turn sig switch plug, should be less wires there to confuse. The circuit board may be shorting and has expanded enough with the heat to not do it

ksuttorp

I, too, have the same problem with my suburban. Did this information solve the problem?

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro