2001 Chevy Suburban crankshaft sensor

LRWILDHEART
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
Will a cranshaft sensor that is bad cause the engine not to fire during start up and will it cause the engine to burn alot more fuel and is this something that I can change out my self.
Monday, June 21st, 2010 AT 6:50 PM

A problem with the CPS will cause a no start and misfires
Monday, June 21st, 2010 AT 7:00 PM
68CHEVYSSPU
The answer is yes

I have the 2500 with the 8.1 and when it went bad it would just shut down intermittently without warning. I never noticed any difference in fuel mileage but then it's hard to tell with an 8.1 because it's so bad anyway. It wasn't expensive but it was a hassle. It was located on the back of the engine block above the transmission. To get to it I had to loosen the left side body mounts, jack the left side up a few inches (2x4s under the running board worked nicely) and remove the left inner fender well (a few of those pesky plastic pushpin thingys pulled out from the under side). I think I remember having to remove a heat shield from the firewall too. None of that is too bad but it still was barely reachable and I scratched the back of my arm up a bit by the time I was finished. There is a electrical plug, and one bolt straight into the block. Remove the bolt and plug and the sensor pulls up out of the block. Mine was broken about half way down. The casing on the shaft was broken but the wire was intact so it came out in one piece. If it doesn't, you're screwed, but chances are you'll be okay as I don't know why the wire would break anyway. The new one slipped right in place and the truck was all happy afterward.
-1
Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 AT 5:18 PM