1999 Suburban Alarm

SKARECROW
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
1999 Chevy Suburban LT 5.7 auto 4x4 151,000 miles, I BELIEVE the factory installed alarm system. It's the one with the remotes that have Lock, Unlock, and Rear 2x buttons.

I just bought this truck on Saturday, and the keyless entry didn't work. First thing I checked were the batteries in the remotes. They were both leaking, so I replaced them right away. Tried the remotes, still nothing. I have a LITTLE experience with alarms, so next thing I do is start playing with the valet switch. Beautiful, keyless entry and alarm seem to be working fine, except no chirp or any kind of door lock confirmation sound.

Today I accidentally hit the door lock button inside the truck twice in a row (the one on the door, not on the remote), and the alarm started going off, just as it did if I hit the lock button on the remote twice. I couldn't get the alarm to shut off with the remotes. I put the key in and it started right up, but the alarm was still going off. People were starting to get annoyed, so I started playing with the valet switch again until it finally shut off.

Don't ask me what I hit in what order, cuz I couldn't remember to save my life. But now the remotes don't do anything at all. I spent a few hours fooling with it, and looking up any info I could find online, but no help. Does anyone have programming instructions for this alarm? I know the dealership I bough the truck from wouldn't have a clue, and I really don't feel like paying a real Chevy dealer to look at it. It's a real simple thing to fix if I just had the instructions.

Someone PLEASE help me get my alarm working properly.

Oh, on another note, is it me, or is the range on the remotes REALLY small? When they WERE working they usually didn't work more than 15 or 20 feet away.

And 1 last question. What is the 4th contact pad in the remote for? It only has 3 buttons, but there in a contact for a 4th, and the case has an indentation or whatever on the inside where a 4th button would go.

Thanks in advance for all your help. I look forward to reading all your replies.
Wednesday, November 21st, 2007 AT 3:58 AM

PEAR69
I am not aware of any factory alarm system that has any type of siren or horn ETC. If your alarm system has bells and whistles and your lights flash and stuff then it is aftermarket. However--the factory does have a security system that disables the ignition if someone tries to start the vehicle without the proper key or if someone trys to jump start it or messes with the radio. This system is called the PASS LOCK SYSTEM. There are no alarms involved with this system from the factory. When there is an after market alarm installed in one of these vehicals it must be cut into the factory pass lock system. Here is where it gets tricky--The passlock system operates on a particular resistance of a resistor in the ignition switch. This resistance is unique and different to every vehicle with this type of system. The person installing an after market alarm system must first determine this resistance and install the system accordingly.
As far as your key pod goes, if you have an owners manual (ya know the ones you get when the vehicle is new and you're suppose to keep in the glove box) this has a procedure in it to tell you how to reprogram your key pod. Let me know how you make out.

This site runs on small or large donations please try to make one good luck
Wednesday, November 21st, 2007 AT 10:11 AM
SKARECROW
I don't know who installed the alarm, but it seems to be the exact same one everyone else has that asks questions online about an alarm in that truck. I don't have the owners manual, or else I would have already checked it. It didn't come with the truck.
Wednesday, November 21st, 2007 AT 9:17 PM
PEAR69
Get an owners manual --and get rid of the aftermarket NON factory alarm system. An alarm system that's put into a vehical with a GM PASS LOCK system must be installed properly according to the resistance in the system. If anybody else 'online' has the same problem you do, you can send my replies to them also.
Thursday, November 22nd, 2007 AT 1:53 AM
KENBO1995
There is a special sequence that you go through to program the remotes. I found it a couple weeks ago while doing a search online and used it to reprogram my remote. Do a yahoo search and you should be able to locate it. Basically if I remember right, you turn the key on then off on then off then on and leave it on. Hold the lock button down on your console, the doors will lock and unlock, then hold the buttons on the remote locked for about 15 seconds or until the doors lock/unlock. And thats it. But search the net, you'll find it like I did. Good luck!
-1
Wednesday, December 19th, 2007 AT 7:17 AM
KENBO1995
I searched and found the sequence.I hope it helps:

1) Close all the vehicle doors.
2) Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
3) Press and hold the door unlock switch.
4) While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
5) Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
6) Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
7) Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
8) Turn the igntion switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
9) Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
Wednesday, December 19th, 2007 AT 7:38 AM