1999 Chevy Suburban Radio cuts out periodically

CARMENTAL
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
1999 Suburban LT1500. The radio will lose sound every once-and-a-while if I go over a small bump, and then it will return the next time I hit a bump. The radio remains on, buttons work, display is lit, everything seems Ok other than "no sound". The 'burban has the original Delco stereo with the remote CD player located beneath it in the dash.

From what I've read these systems have an amp that drives the rear speakers, and that the front-two door speakers work directly off of the radio. Of course, you can't trust everything you read on the internet (present company excepted).

I've also read some online content that indicates the amp has a cut-out feature that kicks in if there is a short in one of the speaker wires. So. Finally my question:

Does this sound like a speaker wire short issue? Or an issue with the radio itself?

I hate to pull the door panels off to test the speaker wires if the issue is either with the radio or the amp. I'd consider replacing the radio with another factory type but hate to spend those dollars if the issue is with the amp or the wiring. Any suggestions for my first course of action?
Sunday, May 24th, 2009 AT 9:45 PM

BIGZ
I have a 98 suburban I did not know there was stock amps? Where are they located at in the truck.
I installed a new JVC stereo and ran all new wires and speakers.
+1
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009 AT 11:02 PM
CARMENTAL
I can only attest to the stock amp being there based upon other forum threads. If I stick my noggin' under the dash I can see the radio wire harness splitting off at a little steel box located to the right of the steering column, from what I've read that is the amp. Be careful, there's also a little finned aluminum box under there in the same area, I believe thats a rectifier the power outlets.
-1
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 5:25 AM
BIGZ
Ya I saw that thing there, I had no ideal what it was.I know one thing, there is a lot of stuff under that dashboard.I was yanking out the old cellphone crap out of there to. Thanks for the info.
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 7:59 AM
BOBHARMS
I am having the same problem as carmental with my 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500 -- the radio sound cuts out when I go over a bump. I thought it was the factory radio and replaced it with a JVC aftermarket radio. Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem -- in fact, the experience is worse because the JVC radio is not as forgiving as the factory radio was (it has to be reset each time it cuts out). Bottom line is that I eliminated the radio as being the issue and do not know where to look next. When it works, all speakers work fine -- I hit a bump and all speakers stop working -- no static or anything before dead silence. Could the factory amp be the issue? I see it and check the wire harnesses -- all seems secure. Above the silver factory amp box is another smaller metal box that has a wire harness that connects to the amp -- all wires harnesses appear secure. Any assistance in helping me resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.
-1
Monday, July 16th, 2012 AT 8:21 PM
BOBHARMS
Hoping to get some assitance -- thanks in advance.
-1
Wednesday, August 1st, 2012 AT 6:56 PM