1999 Chevy Suburban Complete electrical failure

RAWDVM
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
My wife's '99 Suburban suddenly has no power to anything. Won't start, no headlights, no brake lights, no interior lights, no power windows, no radio, etc. All fuses are good & there has been no smells typical of melted wires. My voltage meter is fried, so I haven't been able to check every connection. The battery is only a couple of years old. There is still no power when the battery is jumped. I even jumped straight to the fuse box & still no power. What do you think I should do next & what do you think the problem could be?

Thanks,
rawdvm
Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 9:18 AM

Hello, I'd have to be sure the battery has a full charge and the cables/wires are clean and tight on both ends.

If that checks out, I test for voltage at the starter relay. Voltage to the load side of relay is hot all the time. Voltage to the control side of relay goes hot with the key in the crank position. As far as the fuses, did you check that the fuse circuits are hot when they should be?
Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 10:26 AM