CHEVY BATTERY GOING DEAD - POSSIBLE SHORT?

1999 Chevrolet Suburban

jeffadamsut

June, 28, 2010 AT 11:25 PM

1999 Chevy Suburban V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

The battery went dead the other day. After about 15 minutes charging with jumper cables from another vehicle, I was able to start and drive it. I noticed a small electrical shock when touching the door getting in and out of the vehicle. I charged the battery, and the car sat in the garage unused. 2 days later, the battery is dead again. I have inspected the battery cables along the entire length. Connection to starter looks solid although it has some engine oil on it. Connection to alternator and main fuse box under the hood both look good. Any other ideas to look for shorts? My next action is see if I can get it to an auto parts and check the alternator. Battery measures about 12.6V so I think it is good.

June, 29, 2010 AT 2:09 AM

Sounds like you have a short circuit within the electrical system draining the battery overnite

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011