1999 Chevy Suburban AC problems

LCONTRERAS
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
I have a 1999 Chevy suburban 4x4 1500 5.7. My problem is my a/c, I took it to a guy to check it for free and after that its been blowing hot. Did some research to see how to fill it back up and this is what I did, I first vacuumed out the system then replaced the orifice filter and seals in the compressor. I then put it all back together again and vacuum once more. The gauges were reading fine. So I started my car put a/c on high and placed the oil 150 on the low side with high side off. When I was recharging the high side was valve was turned off. After putting in the oil my gauges were at 0. So I went ahead with the 134a 12oz can open up valve to release air then opened up low side and only after that one can my gauges were reading 47psi on low side and about 242psi on high. What the hell went wrong no leaks and no air in the system, so what now?
Sunday, July 18th, 2010 AT 10:27 PM

When doing a/c you have to be careful on how you do this. You gave no temp/pressure relation as the 242 doesn't sound to high, but at what temp? The 47 seems high so i'd suspect you have to much freon in the system. A can of freon isn't a pound it's usually 12 or 13 ozs. And if your system says it take s 1 pound 4 ounces then that means 16 ounces total. You need to know the temp outside to relate the pressure to it to stop putting freon in when it gets to pressure. You also can't do this at idle as it will change due to copressor speed at about 1500 rpm. If you took it to a person to check in the first place and it was ok then, then the mechanic should have fixed it to begin with, if not he isn't to reliable of a business.
-2
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 9:02 AM