1996 Chevy Suburban ABS module / brakes grab hard at slow s

TCONWAY556
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
My dearly loved old chevy has just developed a braking problem. At very low speed braking, like 5 mph, the rear brakes grab hard and lock. Makes me look like I'm learning to drive a stick. Mechanics read and cleared the codes, traced voltages and told me the sensors are good, but the ABS brake control unit needs to be replaced. The OEM/new part is $850 or more. Are the "rebuilt" ones worth it? Is this a repair I can try myself, or did they hold up the unit and build an engine around it? I just don't have the $1000 to spare since it just ate $1000 for its front axel seals and bearings :-( If a couple hundred and greasy hands is all it takes, I'm in.
Tuesday, July 14th, 2009 AT 3:56 PM

DOCFIXIT
Hi
Call your local boneyard see if you can score a unit. They generally sell at 1/2 new price. You will need to have it hooked to a scanner to bleed though.
Hope this helps
Thanks for donate
Wednesday, July 15th, 2009 AT 1:52 PM

Sponsored links