CHEVY SMALLER BELT TO BYPASS COMPRESSOR?

1994 Chevrolet Suburban

tomaltach

December, 15, 2007 AT 12:16 AM

Air Conditioning problem
1994 Chevy Suburban V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 127000 miles

1994 Suburban LT 4x4 127,000 miles

Based on the noise coming from the compressor and the amount of reddish-brown dust in the engine compartment, I believe the compressor clutch is toast.
Currently I don't have the cash to replace the compressor. Can I switch to a smaller serpentine belt and bypass the compressor pulley for now? If so, how do I determine what size belt to purchase.

Finally, is it possible to buy a kit and/ora new clutch an rebuild these compressors?

Lost the compressor on my first car, 1973 Buick Century. I pulled the v-belt and rolled down the windows.
Change isn't always progress.

Jack42

December, 15, 2007 AT 8:29 AM

Not sure if the belt will work like that without some kind of idler pulley to take its place. If just the bearing is bad on the compressor, you can buy that seperatly and it doesnt require the system be evacuated. You will need the puller for the clutch and snap ring pliers to replace it.

merlin2021

December, 15, 2007 AT 11:09 AM

Get a junk yard compressor and swap the clutches, It worked great for me. Or you can buy a/c eliminator pulley. Probably cost about the same!

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe