1993 Chevy Suburban Ignition switch short?

JAUSTINMD
  • 1993 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
My '93 Suburban has a tilt wheel. Sometimes, nothing happens when the ignition switch is turned. If you either move the tilt wheel to a new position of tilt, or lift the steering wheel up slightly (the tilt has a little play in it), then the engine will crank and start fine.

This is an old truck and I plan to get rid of it in less than a year and obviously don't want to put any more money than necessary into repairs. My question is, what is wrong with the ignition, can I fix it myself, if a shop fixes it - how much would you estimate the repair, and is this likely to fail completely in the near future and leave me stranded somewhere?

Thanks!
Monday, October 20th, 2008 AT 7:46 AM

RACEFAN966
The loose tilt part and the ignition rack are more then likely your problem. It does require a steering wheel puller and a lock plate tool and tilt pin tool. It can take a couple of hours or better to replace it. See with the tilt section loose the pushrod from the ignition lock cylinder to the ignition switch are not in sequence, that is why if you lift the wheel you put it in better alignment.
Monday, October 20th, 2008 AT 5:42 PM
JAUSTINMD
Will this progress to the point where it won't start or can I "live with it" 'til I dispose of the truck in a year?
Monday, October 20th, 2008 AT 5:54 PM
RACEFAN966
It may get worse. The more you use you tilt or use you steering wheel to get into the vehicle the worse it will get and the faster it will get there. So with that I would find a happy spot for the tilt that you like and leave it.
Monday, October 20th, 2008 AT 6:23 PM